Different Lesco Prices!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lrose2, Dec 10, 2002.

1. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I don't know what the Lesco policy is but it seems every time I go there to make a purchase I get quoted a different price (higher usually) than the price I purchased the same product for the last time I was there. Then, when I correct the person that just gave me the quote by telling him that is not what I paid last time, they pull up a computer screen and say "Oh, yea! You're right!" and sell the item to me for the lower price. Anyone else run into this with Lesco?

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Perfect price discrimination. It allows then to capture more of the consumer surplust which means more profit for them. Sorry for the econ definition, but that is what it is.

If they can get away with the higher price, that means more money for them. I hear that this is how TGCL works as well. They start high and then go almost to rock bottom if need be.

BTW, is this the one by the dayton mall? I will have to be more careful.

3. Common..

There is lot of info on this subject, and some still going on in the "fert n pest " forum of LS.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a local Lesco. I did drop by the one in Charlotte NC. It wasn't exactly what I expected when I drove up. Real small place.

Anyways, where I get my supplies, I know the owner personally. He typed up a price list just for me that I keep in the truck. When I go to get something I just jump out of the truck with it in hand and point out what I want off the list. Never a problem with prices :D

Maybe some of you could patronize your local seed/feed/fertilize dealers and come out better. I know I do and I feel better as I drive away knowing I have supported my local business owner like myself rather than spending at a chain store.

Just something to think about......

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My lesco is the same way....they have list prices but rarly do I pay them or do I ever pay the same price for the same rodict 2 times in a row!!!! Ussually they will pull up "some computer screen" and say "how is 13 dollars a bag?" From there we ussually bargain a little untill we agree on a price. Kind of strange........

6. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

Jason,

That's the one!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

There is no telling how many "new guys" and price shoppers they see every week. All with big dreams or big promises but nothing at that moment. Like with anything, you must establish a relationship. When people only show up at their door a couple of times a year or the 1st time, they must treat them as a retail sale. They have nothing to prove otherwise to them at that point.

The guys at my local LESCO are very knowledgable and helpful. They are very easy to work with and always do what they say they will. I've tried others with with good results, but I didn't like the quality of materials as much.

Relationships are built. Don't expect someone who spends $100 per year to be treated as someone that spends $10k. You don't treat your customers that way. What if Mrs. Jones that spends $30 per cut with you calls and says I want you here at 9am sharp. Then your $30k per year comm'l customer says I have a meeting I insist you attend tomorrow at 9am. Which one gets the priority?

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I went to the Lesco in Charlotte and yes it was somewhat small but the prices they gave me where the same ones on the Lesco price sheet I got from the home office of Lesco.
    Not to mention that he had some triblend perr. Rye that was not used this year at a local golf course. So he made me an even better offer on it. I must say that it was well worth the 170 mile round trip. I saved $675.00. They also offered to send anything I need to me. If it is $1200.00 or more freight free on their truck. If it is a small order ups. Very nice and helpful guys.

9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

There is a difference in pricing, usually depends on size of your operation or if you have competitive issues. I would recommend you visit with your lesco associate in your area and work out a program and get a schedule of pricing. Normally you would supply them with real acerage or yearly estimates of usage.

This is a very competitive business from our side and the vendor side. It is our responsibilty to be professional in all aspects of our business. Know your current price for all products you use. You should also budget your fuel and repairs. Prices can vary, do to market demands and increase in raw ingredients.

Stay informed and stay ahead of yoyr competition.

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

There is already more than enough info on this site about our prices, so I would refer anyone on this thread to take a look at some of the others.

But I will try again.

The prices are always based on the sales volume of the last 2-4 quarters. The amount someone has spent determines which "column" their price quote comes from. In a valid competitive situation or when a newer customer (who lacks sales history) needs a quote, we have an entire department on staff to handle the situation. Ask your sales person. Griping about it here solves nothing unless you remember to email a link to your salesperson.

The Early Order Program is also tiered and applies to items that we manufacture. Order now, fair discount. Take in December, big discount. Order, take, & pay in December, very fat discount. For those who qualify, the offer includes terms until May '03. Wait until January, & urea IS going up. Some get better raw material costs than others, so we'll all just have to wait & see what energy costs really do to raws.

I haven't lost even a single order to price since November. Show me a written quote on a competitors letterhead that's lower in price on the same grade & quality. Fax 203-378-7087.

I know for a fact that there is only one price list for the entire east coast zone from Maine down about to the Carolina's & over to about Western Pa. or Ohio. I know & regulary converse with the people who wrote it & why. These folks are intelligent & tenured green industry professionals who know what they're doing.

SHOW ME THE MONEY

I don't feel that Chuck's website is the appropriate forum for this sort of conversation to take place. I will therefore only respond again to this matter when inqiries are sent to my own email address. Have all the pertinent, required information ready before contact, including account number, please. All correspondence will be kept in the strictest confidence based on the wishes of the customer.

Respectfully,

Steve

sls247@lesco.com