Different styles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by drmiller100, Jun 25, 2007.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. we have a 3 month install season.

A crew out of Utah came to town to install 25 houses. the crew is hispanic, there are 12 of them, and they HUSTLE. One skid steer, one dump truck, one rental trencher.

They go to dig up the house feed line (by hand) and were shocked to find it 4 feet down!!! Then they install some automatic drain gizmo and a quarter turn shut off and hook up a PVB.

I'm a nice guy, so I stop and point out the drain is illegal here, PVB's all freeze in the spring, and they were lucky it was only 4 feet down and was in the right place.

Foreman gets mad, starts yelling, so I give up and walk off. Turns out they called the inspector, adn now thye are doing curb stops, which I thought were also illegal here.

Foreman came up to me, apologized, and asked if 55 psi is standard. Nope, 55 is pretty high!!!
    He is used to 90 psi!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pretty cool to watch cheap labor go for broke.

doug

2. Does this kind of stuff cut into your business or are these jobs you probably wouldn't have done anyway? Also where do 25 hispanics crash at night in a remote mountain area?

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

He said 12 and I bet they've got two trailers with them:cry: :cry: :cry:

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

.....or maybe the Irrigator deluxe mobile command center, which sleeps fourteen
    [​IMG]

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

that wagon is actually the camper of a long term donnelley, Idaho resident.

the amigos have waaaaaaaaaay too much class for that.

So for 25 houses, all identical, all in a row, all with about 5,000 square feet of lawn, I bid them at 3200 bucks each. This includes hydroseeding.
    The contractor is a buddy, and I really didn't want them as they are BORING, and I figured someone was going to show up anyway and do them cheap.

Well, they are doing them for something just under 2,000 bucks each. Have at it!!!!
    I'm getting the long term maintenance of the 200 unit subdivision.