Different Types of Billing Methods?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 18, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering using my bank's option of MOBILE BANKING which allows the customer to pay via debit card/interact/visa/mastercards!

This option I believe will save me a lot of time, hassles and problems I believe because it's a mobile machine that accepts payments via DEBIT CARD/INTERAC/VISA/MASTERCARDS!

What do you guys think of this feature for our green industry? I think it's very useful because instead of getting cheques and hassles, you can swipe your customer's card and get paid instantly!

I was thinking about joining this method, but I'm not sure if anyone has used this type of method?

I know you get charged a certain amount of $$$ to use it!

Waht do you guys think?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can see where it would be advantageous to your business but only as a convenience to your customers. What I mean is it will give some of them another way to pay. You will still have those who pay in cash, by check and credit card if you offer that service.

I have very few customers who pay "on the spot" for their lawn service and probably none who (they're mostly 65 and over) would want to pay with a debit card.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I think it's a waste of $. They will charge you a lot of $ for a mobile machine and you won't get your money any faster than if you just did it the regular way (below)

Here's how we do it. I carry an imprinter in my truck and some blank imprinter receipts. If someone wants to pay me on the spot, I grab my little imprinter machine, swipe their card, hand them a copy of the receipt, and then take it home and run their card on my internet termintal (Visa, MC, Amex) and then wait 2 days for the $ to be deposited into my account. Works like a charm. And it's just as professional as the electronic gizmo you're talking about getting, only a LOT less expensive.

I just don't see any advantage to running the transaction and getting an approval ON THE SPOT. It's not any more professional. I doubt it gets you your money any faster. And it's definitely more expensive.

Furthermore, my experience over the last 2 years taking credit cards is that much of the time, I end up taking the card number over the phone anyway. A customer receives a bill and calls me and says, "Hey. Can I just give you my credit card number to pay this right now?" If I am at home, I just enter it in as we speak on the phone. If not, I enter their number into my Planner and do it when I get home later. Nothing to it.

I think if you run a professional outfit, you'll find that people don't mind at all giving you their credit card numbers over the phone or on a imprinter.

Nowadays we probably process $2000 - $10,000 per month in credit card transactions. And even with that volume, I see no need to get the ultra modern electronic immediate swiper machine you're referring to.

Don't get me wrong. Taking credit cards is a GREAT idea. Worth every dime, IMO. I just don't see a need for the electronic gizmo that processes the transaction immediately from out in the field.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think it also depends on how much volume you are talking about. If you are talking about just mowing...not worth the hassle, unless you do it Jim's method. Might be worth the hassle if you are doing a lot of landscaping installs.

5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes:

Its the old hand style machines that were used back when the internet was someones dream. You have seen them you just dont know you have. You just put the card in it, pull or press a lever and the numbers are pressed into a carbon copy slip. Nothing fancy and no different than taking the numbers over the phone except that you have a hard copy.

Jimbo

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I think they are referring to this device.

[​IMG]

8. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I just started running a test with several of my customers. I have had real good results with using PayPal for my monthly and weekly billing. It sure saves on postage and hassles with the Post Office and Bank.
    Customers seem to like the convience also.

9. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've had the best luck leaving a self-addressed envelope on the front door if the customer isn't home with a small card with today's total and a pitch for addtional services. Most of the customers mail it within a couple of days, but I've never had a no pay. I put the checks in a basket and log them every couple days. Some customers I've never met...gave the bid over the phone and billed as above.

10. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Do any of you have you websites set-up for a customer to pay with a credit or debit card?......... If so how hard was it to do?