Different types of blue stone??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am desiging a big job right now. I am trying to give the people several different options for decking. They liked the look of the Techo Inca fake bluestone. I refused to use that material since i do not belive they got the manufacturing process dialed in enough to produce accurate sized peices. No point in using fake bluestone that cost most then natural and will take the same amount of time to install.

Are there different types of bluestone? I hear most people say tennesse bluestone, or PA bluestone. I am looking for a natural stone product that is a lighter color then typical blue stone.

Also, how hot will the bluestone get in the summer time? I am trying to talk the people into marble since it stays cool, but they like the look of the bluestone more.

I just want something other then run of the mill bluestone. It doesn't matter where we need to ship it in from.

2. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

The nicest bluestone in my opinion is thermal bluestone, very pricey about $7.00 a sq ft in our area, all the sizes are cut to almost exact thickness (very close), and the color is lighter and all matches very well. VEry highend product.
    Bluestone-(Full Color) is the cheapest, about 3.85$ a sq and you will get irregularities in sizes and thickness, and colors.
    Bluestone- (All Blue) you will have all the same color - blue

3. mrusk

PAPs- that thermal bluestone sounds almost what i am looking for. I could careless what the cost is. Who are some suppliers that sell it out of North NJ? I am in Sussex County, but do not care where i have to go to get it.

4. McLandscaing

McLandscaing LawnSite Member

Mrusk,
    You might want to take a look @ Rolling Rock building stone www.rollrock.com.

They have the best stuff around and they will ship to jersey. Sq.ft price from 5.00-10.00 and it comes from Pa to china. if you have any questions just ask

Shaun

5. PAPS Landscape Design

from us

MRUSK... I have bought some from VALLEY MASON SUPPLY in Vernon which is up by you, they stock plenty of it....

6. mrusk

PAP- I forgot about the stuff valley sells. They have the bluestone from isreal.

Do you think any of these foreign types of bluestone will stay cooler in the summer.

7. PAPS Landscape Design

from us

i think its still going to be as hot as any other type of bluestone, but the thermal looks amazing when its down thats for sure...

8. mrusk

I guess every type of stone is going to be just as hot besides a marble.

I've had pavers around my pool all my life, and do not ever remember it being too unbearable.

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

You can use brazillian slate it has a different shade of blue and runs a little thinner that the blustone being quarried today because it is more dense.

check out www.stoneyard.com they are a great resource.