different way of laying a patio?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jacob land and, May 26, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

the past 3 patios i have done i used a base of compacted crushed limestone (12-15 inches thick) and a layer of sand (1-2 inches thick) i was at a nursery today to get a price on materials i.e crushed limestone and sand. and was told that they always use slag it is finely crush stone i think, i am not sure if they use a top layer of sand with it or not but they said you only need 4-5 inches compacted for your base and it will be as strong as concrete, was wondering if everyone is using SLAG or are some people still using the crushed lime stone. i cant belive that 4-5 inches would be very solid ????
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

icpi is adamant about not using limestone becuase of the elongated particles having the tendancy to move across each other.

also they say use 1" washed sand.
  3. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

OK I'm lost on a couple of things you said... but heres how I do a paver job. One way is to have concrete poured and formed to what you may need. This comes in handy when doing driveways cause all you need is sand. Second is using a combination of #5 and #7 gravel. You are better off getting this with a powder, some gravel yards wash their stone too much to get it with the powder, so you can sub in a concrete powder. In humid areas (like OHIO) I can let mother nature secure my base. If you can get the 5,7 with the powder, use a good amount of water and tamper it every 2 inches. It is just like chunky concrete!! Once you get it almost level you can use the sand of your choice to even out the base. I like to use half the size of my paver to determine the amount of sand I use. Like if a paver is 2" I use 1" of sand. Hope this helps.:cool2:
  4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Cashking, doesn't your first method kind of defeat the primary benefit of a flexible pavement?
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Last time i checked the sand is not added to 'even out the base"!!!
  6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

This seems to be the place for awful advice.

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

no matter how much sand you have your pavers will level to your base. Base not level = pavers not level.
  8. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Wow didn't know this would turn into critic a method. Surprising no one posted any answers to his question, just gripes about my post. First off...I wasn't sure if he was talking about pavers on just dirt, the example given was for driveways. Expand your product and you too may be able to add pavers to concrete. Thanks! Second, to all the know it alls, what do you do after you add the sand? Oh yeah what do you do after you add the pavers?? I never said keep the 5,7 base un-level but its kind of hard to get a perfect level on it after it has been soaked and tampered. So Ill be waiting your answers...
  9. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Hello from a former Ohioan.

There is allot of misinformation about installing pavers floating around out there. This site is a great place to learn the "best practices" for the industry. Many knowledgeable installers post here on a regular bases. They have a great deal of information to share, unfortunately they do not "sugar-coat" their opinions, observations or critiques. Even though this information is not presented in a nurturing way, it is intended to help you become better at your craft.

That being said, I suggest you take the ICPI Basic Contractor Certification Class. It will equip you with the beginning information to start installing pavers using the "best industry practices".

Rex Mann

RM Stonescaping
    ICPI Instructor

10. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

this isn't my thread. ReX, I know how to do pavers, I just gave a suggestion. Didn't know that you had to be certified to post on here.