1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Difficult areas

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DavidR, Nov 5, 2007.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have a few areas of my lawn that I have had trouble growing grass in. I can't figure out why. I have aerated these areas each year with the rest of my lawn, I have even tilled it and added new soil to the area. For some reason these areas still become very hard for most of the year, even though they are irrigated with the rest of my lawn. At this point I have gotten pretty frustrated as all I have been able to do is shrink these areas.

Any recommendations?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Do they recieve more shade then the other areas? Is it on a hill?
  3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

This is part of the front of my yard which has a slight grade to it and is in full sun throughout the day. These are several areas about 3ft circles.
  4. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

Were there trees there at one time?
    I had two areas like that where there were trees and the stumps were ground down. I dug out a lot of the crap put good soil down and they look great now.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sometimes if you have a large rock or old tree stump within a few inches of the surface the area can dry up and kills the grass.
  6. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I'll have to dig this area up and check. I have lived in the house for almost 6 years now, bought the house new so I have on idea if there was a tree in that area or not. Pretty wooded lot so this is possible.
  7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes home builders bury crap onsite. Sometimes they spill or dump crap onsite. Your idea of digging up the bad spots is a good one. I think maybe remove the soil at least to the depth of the shovel blade and replace it with good topsoil.