Difficult customer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

I have a guy in a new development, no houses around him yet, just mostly field grasses. It's an old farm field. Someone came in and ripped him off a couple of years ago and he's suspicious of everything. Trying to make me change the wording of our agreements and stuff. Anyhow, I explained to him that seeding in the spring can increase weed populations. He said fine, I want a thicker lawn. So I aerated and overseeded it. Now he wonders why there is so much clover in his yard, and no clover can be found in the field around him?? Don't know what to tell him. I've been trying to get him on a program after I seeded, and he waited and waited, and now its late. He just told me he's going to hold off, after he said he was interested. And again trying to change payments throughout the year. I just don't want to be bad mouthed, I even went to his house a couple of times to tell them about mowing watering, weed control - going out of my way for them. I guess I can see why the other guy never came back. Anyhow the clover issue will still be my fault unless I address them.

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Does he think you planted the clover in his yard? Why does he think you would do that? Wouldn't it be expensive, as well as bad business on your part just to piss him off? You need to explain that to him.

Ask him if he still wants to work with you. If so, tell him the costs, terms, ect. If not, walk away. You did all you could do for him. I wouldn't worry about the bad mouth thing. People already know what he is like.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

you need to word what you say to customers very clearly. and make sure they're listening. i guarentee he was off in la la land while you brought up that his lawn would most likely be infested with weeds. once you get rid of the clover it'll be crabgrass and which point he'll tell you he's never had crabgrass before until he hired you.

if im seeding a lawn in the spring i make sure the customer knows they'll most likely need it again come early fall and i set the proper expectations. some listen, some don't.

some people in this word are just massive pud stains, if you're afraid he's going to bad mouth you then deluge him with kindness and make it seem like you're willing to go above and beyond for him. chances are that you'll still get an earfull from him, but he'll have a harder time bad mouthing you to others.

if he doesn't want you out there then the clover isn't your problem. you can't do anything if he won't let you back on his property.

all new developments with contractor grade sandi-rock dirt gets loaded with clover. it's going to be a lot of work either way.

if he starts bad mouthing you in public you should be ready to return the favor.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

time to say bye bye and concentrate on someone who needs your service.

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, say bye bye and walk :walking: There are so many other customers out there, listen to your gut and leave. Don't waste any more time and energy.

6. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Once someone other than you does the customer wrong, they see every other company servvicing the same service with both eyes open! and leary of you! What you could do is leave a good impression of what a pro is suppost too look like and leave plenty of room for lot's of question!

What new cumber don't understand is that when they leave someone with less than what they expect, it leave someone like you with all the cridenticals and lecenses too pick up the piceses. So, don't take it personally, but, do act professionally for the next guy!

7. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

Get someone near his house and let him see what his lawn could look like if he would have given it the time that is takes to make things right. I always tell people who have rough looking lawns not to expect a golf course overnight. Good things take time. Cut him off and move on.