1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

dig or rent?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 19, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you have a job. if you do it by hand, it's 5 hrs of digging. if you rent a machine, it's $300 rental fee, plus whatever time it takes you to make the arrangements, etc and do the work. what do you do? dig by hand, put the $300 in your pocket, or rent the machine?

2. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent the machine because it is fun to play with big toys. In all seriousness, why not rent the machine charge the 300.00 and then charge an extra 100 for the work.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Are you actually doing the digging or is it your workers doing the diggin??. My opinion I would rent the machine because of running into rocks or what ever that could make the job longer. Also if some one else will pay for you to play and get some experience with a machine why not go for it.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Does the 5 hours digging allow for breaks? I would never dig 5 hours straight by hand for $300. You could fine a couple of cheap laborers to do the digging for you for about $100 though. I would probably rent the machine and charge accordingly.

Don't forget about wear and tear on the body...

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'm not talking 5 hrs steady digging. i lttle digging, a little picking (frozen ground) dump the wheel barrow, stop for a few min, etc. now, if you are getting $1500 for the job, you can take out $300, spend it on rental, or put the 3 bills in your pocket, and sweat a little

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rent the machine and use the time I saved to do another job.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

if you have that much work lined up, sure, but still don't forget, you dumped $300 that could have been profit on this job, by renting a machine

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I will rent bg and save the back trouble

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I would dig, but it wouldn't be me digging :)

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent the machine, add the cost to the price plus an up-charge for the time it takes you to make the arrangements. A lot of this business is about productivity, and if you are comparing a shovel to a machine for digging, you may not be making productive decisions. Take the 5 hours it will take you to dig and add on another small job to increase the bottom line.