Dig Rite!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassyfras, Mar 29, 2006.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I called Dig Rite the first time today. I was impressed, however, somethings cofuss me. They told me I can't dig for 2 days but it may be marked the next day. I know there trying to cover their ass but if I dont wait and something happens and its there fault are they clear? The guy told me its just something we have to tell you and said its "one of those things". He also said I can't did within 2 feet of a marked line, but if I do they suggest I hand dig the area. Ok fair enough but I ask the guy so I can dig in that area and hes like "no" but if you do hand dig. LOL ok so there covering their as but what do you do when you need to dig and theres a line. Also why even call if your hand digging in the first place? I guess I would be more careful but I'm just lost.

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

what are you digging for ? most lines are buried at a pretty good depth except for Charters f$cking cable

3. grassyfras

Drainage. Ya I cut my own cable wire twice maybe three times. I also ran over Charters wires that were never burried for a month. Velke got it.

4. JKOOPERS

most of the other lines are buried at least 18" so you should be fine .

5. grassyfras

Alright cool.

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

around here as long as you call first you can pretty much just tear them out and go on if you want . of course i don't and we do our best to work around them but we do get a few from time to time

7. grassyfras

Tear what out? The pipes? or just cable wires? Are you cutting these wires?

8. JKOOPERS

what kind of drainage system are you doing and why?

9. grassyfras

Just a little french drain. Their on a nice slope from front to back so the back is all soggy in this corner. SO the other day they called me to sod so I did and now they want more sod but with all the rain latly I was like wait this isnt right. So, I noticed their down spout and slope are just making a mess right there. So Im going to lay a drain pipe a foot in with some clean gravel and take it out behind there fence. Behind it is a big commercial buidling, not that nice of grounds, so I was going to just have it end there. I may end up doing a dry welll there but probbly just end it there.

10. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

It is a state law that you call 48 hours in advance of any digging. That means you must wait 48 hours after you call. I know that most utilities are at least 18 inches deep but we have ran into situations where they were not. If you hit a gas line or phone line you will not only be charged to fix it but you can be fined by the state also. I'm not telling you not to dig but just stating the facts.
    Dennis