Dig This!!i Love, Loveit, Loveit!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i called to renew my add in the newspaper, and this is what the girl said to me:" if you are advertising for pest use, you must be licensed, you do realize that, don't you???" i said, "well, yes, but, what business is this of yours???" she said, "starting next week, we are adding this at the top of our lawn/landscape section" it is a few lines advising the public to ask for proof of licensing, and insurance, before hiring a service. this made me, very, very happy. i'm tired of competing with these guys doing these cute little "$30 an application" services because they have no overhead in this area. our yellow pages here have this warning, now my favorite newspaper has it too. it's about time, don't you think? will this "narrow down" the competition?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah thats awesome,,,,,then they should also add the statement if these licensed guys offer to control your crabgrass with asulox,,,,,,they are NO better than the unlicensed spray guys!

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Very sweet! Maybe NJDEP had a hand in on this? Wish my State would be more proactive.

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

It may surprize you when you still get undercut by someone with they're license. I see it happen with a few guys here in town that have spay trucks and they always talk about how they don't know how the other guys are making any money but they all say the same thing about one another. The bad part is they all know each other pretty well and are the only ones around that apply legaly.

They are worse to each other than every Puablo and Juan here is to me.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

back to the top

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am happy that they are stepping in as well

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Was this because of a law, or your threatening phone calls bobby?

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

NormAl,

I'm up here in Hernando County and am not licensed to spray. I sub my spray work out to licensed operators. Any time Asulux is mentioned it's kind of a grey area with no one giving any real answers about it. What's up with it?

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The guy placing the ad may well be licensed but that's no guarantee his applicators are certfied. From my experience many of them, the bigger the company the more likely, use "one day wonders" out in the field.

Besides, how much difference in price does having a license make? Your state may be higher or have different requirements for facilities, but at around $600/year to comply with the requirements, that's hardly a huge competitive advantage.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

bruce, it's A HUGE advantage. 95% of the guys don't have a license. and, 100% of the clients, don't know that a license is needed. so, i'm thinking, between that, and my charming personality, my ability to speak in complete sentances, etc, i think i'll have a big edge. don't u think?