dig this letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 1, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a few weeks ago while cutting at one of our stops where we have 5 in a row, a lady drives by, stops and asks can u look at my place, my lawn guy hasnt been showing up. we stop by, small resident, nicely kept. we write up agreement, $25+tax per visit, once a week . she says great, lets do it. we send bill for remainder of july=2 cuts+tax, =$53. SO GET THIS: she sends a blank check, with a long letter, "dear bob, i know we agreed on this price , but the more i think about it, you must be crazy, these prices are outragous! i have had about 7 or 8 lawn guys here in the last couple years and they have all done my lawn for $15. and what the hell is this sales tax thing? i have never been charged sales tax by a lawn service. i need alot of other work done, replacement of shrubs, trimming, etc. will this be included for the $53? as u can see i sent a blank check, when u come to your senses , i would like u to fill in the amount you need to be paid for these two cuts. and, also, i woud like my lawn cut only once every two weeks, not every week. u did a very nice job and i look forward to using your service in the future. thanx bob, xxxxx" END OF QUOTE. so, my anger management classes must be working cus im laughing about this, and unfortunately my phsycic abilities were not working that day so i could not see this coming. i wonder y her other 8 guys stopped showing up. if anyone who reads this is cutting grass for $15 in my area, please stop! and, if u r not charging/paying sales tax, u r a crook! thanx for listening, BOB
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Your customer relations are astounding....................can't even get a full month in before the bitching starts!

I would be her 9th "lawn boy" that didn't show up though. Sounds like one of my customers that always has a problem, she calls and says "This is just a quirky thing"..............makes me sick to hear that word.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

She sent you a blank check (she's a dummy) but besides that she's giving you the power in the letter by saying to fill in what you need to get paid for these two cuts. I would add on a administration fee for the paperwork you'll have to update for taking her off of your schedule. Charge her $100

By the way, if you had a written contract, why did she question the price 2 weeks later? Doesn't make sense to me!
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes guido, a written contract, and STILL she pulls this crap! i dont think im gonna fill in the blank check, im gonna go speak with her about it. so, hows my anger management working? its this thing i saw ed norton and ralph cramden working on, every time u get mad u just stop and say, " pins and needles, needles and pins...." actually i dont know why i seem to attract all the loonies, i think its the water in this area(and no, i dont drink it, i only drink bottled water)
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Now I know your problem! Put the water down! ;)

Anyway, on a serious note, I would like to advise you to make sure you get at least your $53.00 from this loonie. If you get less, your the loonie one!

NEVER EVER back down a price that had been agreed on by both parties, especially when the "buyer" is happy with the service.

Do it once, and the word WILL spread, people will walk all over you and your company.

Be careful, I've seen it happen. Let us know how it turns out.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

fill the check out for the agreed price, mail her a reciept along with a xerox copy of your voided service agreement.

OR, mow for $15 as she wants and each time you come take about 15 minutes and charge her a hundred bucks for for the trim job.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Did she sign this check? I wouldn't touch that check with a ten-foot pole! Take it back to her and have her fill it out for the $53 and no less. If you fill it out, next thing you know you'll be up on charges of forgery! If she's as looney as you say...beware!

After you are handed the check...as Geo says hand her a copy of the voided contract.
  8. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Sales tax on a service?

Thats a new one to me.. Is this a state tax or local?
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Better keep researching for next season Bob...I don't know about Michigan, but here in PA we also have to charge State sales tax on service.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

But, for some reason, we dont charge it on snowplowing !?!? Must be that snowremoval is a necessity, not a luxury.