Digging a basement cost?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by meets1, Oct 16, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Thought I would ask those that know! Looking at building a spec home, roughly 45 x 50 with garage included - only footings. What can I expect to pay for this?? Poured walls, i would think around 9 ft high.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

just the cost to dig the basment? or the cost to pour also?

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Does the dirt have to be haul off or can it be spread out on site.

Your looking at atleast 750 yards, probably 850 by the time you over dig for waterproofing.

4. meets1

Digging only - but heck throw in the poured walls also. 6 inch walls. Dirt will be pushed to the side and used as backfill where needed - then yes, maybe some hauled off site.

5. P.Services

i cant guess a price on the poured walls. but i would say around a grand just for the digging then add a few bones for backfill.

6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

9 foot walls 6 inches thick? I have poured basements in the past, and would not do that!

7. meets1

then what would you do? Just visisted my brother-in-laws house. Spread footings 12 inches x 12 inches, set 9ft poured walls on top 6 inches thick. one local contractor goes with an 8 inch wall for residential and 12 on up for commercial.

8. P.Services

is there a brick ledge your not counting?

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

That is a loaded question. Spec home from the ground up? Hard and soft cost? Hard cost should be around $100 a sq. ft and $60 a sq. ft for the garage. It all depends on what you are putting into it as to finish, who the architect is ( they can easily double or cut your building costs in half), lot conditions, etc. You can easily spend $150-$200 a sq. ft and up for a "spec home"........not enough information to give you an intelligent response. Best advise would be to ask some local builders what they are building for, ask an architect what the rates are in your area or ask a building inspector - they are always full of information which you may have to sift through to find what you need.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If you are looking for just a digging price for just footings, get backfill and compaction included in the bid and do not get those done as "extras". I can dig your footings in one day and rough grade/backfill/compact in another day.......that would be my equipment plus one laborer. I do not know rates in your area, but for me to show up and guide a homeowner through that process I would charge $3-$4k knowing that I would be babysitting and fixing as much as working. If I did that for a contractor, the price would be halved.