Digging a pond

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mikecaldwell1204, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

I need some help on this one as this will be my first digging of a pond. I need to dig a pond 50 feet by 200 feet with an average depth of ten feet. Soil is mostly sand with no trees. What would you guys recommend using an excavator or a loader? Any help would be appreciated.

2. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Excavator all the way, I would did a test hole first and see if you have a liner that will hold water{ clay, sub soil etc.. } If not you are wasting your time or paying a fortune to have clay hauled in. Just my two cents

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dozer, no doubt. With an excavator you'd have to handle the material like 5 times before you got it where it needs to be.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

No way. You definetly want an excavator to throw it out, then have the banks sloped with a dozer. If you only have one machine to work with, a high lift or a dozer will do it, but it will take much longer. Even if you had to sub one part out or rent, definetly get an excavator in there. Sand can be a PIA for a crawler to get traction trying to push out material.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

trackhoe with a truck to haul dirt onsite...if you cant get a truck then go with a trackloader...963 for that size pond...but your going to have a tough time holding water in sand and at 10feet down in florida you might even hit groundwater before you get to the full 10feet. i would go in first and dig a few perc holes and see whats down there

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

would definitely have an engineer sign off on a 10ft dam design. Safety first with earthen dams.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Great ideas all.......do your homework first with perc tests, engineers, permits and yada-yada. Lots of ways to skin this cat. What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have a pic of the site?

8. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help. I forgot to mention the pond is not in Florida it is in Michigan. Its a friend of the families the only reason Im doing it. Whatever I use will have to be rented as I only have a skid and a mini excavator thats why I was asking everyones opionion on what to use. I would like to have two machines there but I do not know if he is willing to pay for that so Im probably leaning towards the excavator and he can finish grading the sides at a later date if he would like.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what part of michigan are you in?

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If that is the case.........if you are proficient on an excavator, rent a 160 or larger sized machine and bring in a loader on the 2nd day. Make piles with the excavator and have your buddy move the piles the next day while you start at the end he has cleaned up and finish cut your bottom/sides and put that in piles for him to move again. That is assuming you guys have room for your "little" spoils pile of a couple thousand yards of dirt.........I would think it would be a wiser move to hire someone, sit and watch and learn while having a cold one........