Digging A Ski Lake

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Jan 29, 2007.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering if anyone here has tackled a job similar to this. A private club wants to put in lake as small as possible to water ski on. I think it only has to be less than 10 feet deep. The minimum length would be around 1500', and wide enough just to have a straight run with turnarounds at each end, obviously.

Besides the usual permits, what are there soil test that need to be done, and do you need to worry that it could leak, or not hold the water like some ponds do? I've never worked on a project like this, and I just want to see if somebody would have any advice. If any of you have, what's a ballpark time frame that something like this would take, assuming you had 5 operators and the proper equipment. The unlimited truck drivers hauling the dirt out would be separate from the 5 guys running equipment.

I know this is kind of off the wall, I'm just curious what you guys think.
  2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

You need to get a few more figures.The length you have and a maybe 10' deep,but the width should be more presice.If they are going to be turning around i would think it needs to be at least 20' wide.Depending on how many people will be using it ,big crowds tend to need more room.

Figure your yardage,and the type of soil.Down on bottom ground,mud, or on a hill more chance of clay,which would be better for sealing.I would think you would need to compact the bottom and sides when done.Might even have to undercut the bottom then compact(sheepfoot roller or track it in if they will let you???) a foot or more of clay back in to seal.They also use bentnight(sorry about the spelling) to help seal some lagoons around here.Basicly you would be building something kind of like a lagoon.

If you could waste on site maybe $1 to $2 a yd,if off site and trucking at least $3 to $4 a yd,depends on how far you have to haul and so forth.Lots of variables!!!!!!!!! looks like to me.Need to do your research on this one????? Good Luck
  3. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be renting a scraper... They make pretty fast work of that type of project
  4. dozerman21

Yeah, they're are a ton of variables to figure in. I'm not sure if I'll end up putting a bid in or not. I'd be going in on it with a friend who's also in the excavating business. It's way bigger than anything else I've tackled, but the other guys have done larger work. Most of the equipment would be rented, so I'm mainly concerned on how long it would take, not just for the rental equipment, but I need time to do my regular jobs.

Most of the dirt would be hauled off the site, so we will probably use mostly excavators with a couple of dozers. I'm not too worried about the cost of the equipment, as it will all be included in the price if and when we go to bid.

I don't have any close to exact figures right now. I'm figuring 10' deep, 1500' long, and 100' wide plus the turnarounds, for now. There won't be much traffic on it. Only a handful of people will have access to it.

I probably won't end up doing this due to time restraints, but it's intriguing.
  5. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

6. dirthog

dirthog LawnSite Member

First thing get a engineer involved a body of water that big is going to take a good size breast to hold it. If it breaks you will be in big trouble if you don't have it engineered right the lawsuits will be BAD If you have to excavate everything from the hole you are talking 56,000 cu yds of material
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You would want a Geo. tech report on the soil conditions. If the project is engineered that would be the safest. If it is design and build that carries a lot more liablility. I have seen issues from lined ponds leaking to the flooding of surrounding homes from a rise in water table (septic systems are especially at risk. The liability issues aside. I would also consider using pans. A couple Quad tracks pulling pans can make quick work of 56K yards of material. The location of the pond as to whether it would support pans would be another question. They did a Super Walmart here about 5 years ago and used pans. They stock piled the topsoil and sold it. Workes well if there is room to stockpile it. Sounds like fun project to be apart of as long as your covered liability wise.
  8. dozerman21

Pans would definetly be the fastest, I just don't know if the terrain and other variables will allow for them. We would have all the legal and liability matters taken care of before we even set foot on the property. Like you guys were saying, there's a ton of variables that we would have to cover. It would definetly be a fun project to be a part of. I've haven't been on anything close to something like that, and I'm sure I'd learn a lot. Unfortunately, I don't see how I could fit it in between my normal commitments, unless the people paying for it would go for us working on it 1 day a week.:laugh: That might drag out a little too long.:)