Digging bushes

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mad_Russian776, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants 6 bushes dug up and hauled away. I'm not sure how long the work will take, therefore, not sure how much to charge. The bushes are roughly 5 foot tall and 5 foot in diameter. I was thinking about charging a flat rate per bush.

How do you all charge on such jobs?

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

by the hour

3. Stillwater

forgot to mention you can charge a flat rate per bush but the potential problem with that is the one bush that screws you when it takes 2 guys 4 hrs to dig out.

4. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

What is an average flat rate for removing said bushes? The bushes are roughly 5 foot tall and 5 foot diameter. Just a rough estimate is all i'm looking for.

Thanks

5. Stillwater

give me more info what kind of bushes what type of soil do you have to pay to dump them or can you dump for free.

rough est. for me in may area, well i just transplanted 4 large azaleas me and another guy it took us 3.5 hours so 3.5 X 2 men = 7 man hours

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds redneckish, but can you put a strap around the base of them and yank them out with a truck? I've done this before.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I couldn't be seen yanking out shrubs w/ my "pickem-up truck."

I would get the utilities marked first... just to be safe. I would plan half a day for getting the shrubs out if you don't have a mini-skid. I think 7-10 man hours is an accurate estimate. Just sub in what you need to make per man hour to be profitable. I would have those yanked out in 2 hours w/ my dingo.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Why? Would you be too "embarrased"? I don't get your little insinuation...

9. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

I use a truck also....well the winch on my truck anyways. Never have to enter the yard with any equipment. You say two hours with a dingo, I like 20 minutes with the winch better. So long as the accesibility is there, I dont think that there is much wrong with pulling them with a truck. I know that statement is going to get ripped apart. I know...It's doesn't as look proffesional as hand digging or a skid, but the coallateral damage is a lot less than a skid. Sure hand digging is the best way as far as apperance goes, but it really sucks........:drinkup: 7500lbs anchor, and 15,000lbs pull with the snatch block if need be...:weightlifter:

10. Stillwater

Why ""couldn't"" you be seen yanking out shrubs with your pick up truck?
    do you feel that it is, in some way unprofessional to be seen doing that.? RutRow.... I must after all these years be unprofessional, but I got to ask you this, What is more unprofessional--
    1) having your customer pay the labor rate for 2 men for 6 hours to dig up their bushes
    2) having their lawn torn up with your dingo
    3)paying the labor rate for 1 man with a chain saw and long chain and a truck
    also on some bushes my bobcats have a hard time even with pallet forks on them also a lot of the time the truck does a better job than my either of my bobcats I don't care how good anyone is with a skid steer or dingo they will damage walkways and destroy lawns.

I personally am more than qualified to state this hear...if you are wondering or worried about professionalism, A good guideline to follow is as long as you are performing a task legally, safely and in the most efficient and least intrusive way with the minimum of customer disruption you are doing pretty good and don't need to even question this.