Digging holes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PR0 TURF, Jul 30, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

When installing a system in an existing lawn I have noticed a few other local compaines using a small piece of tarp or burlap, almost like a potato sack, to lay next to the hole to keep the dirt from digging each hole off of the grass. We have just been puting the dirt on the lawn and i really like this simple idea to reduce cleanup. Wanted to see if any of you also use this method and if so, what are you using for a material & what size etc...just looking for some ideas so i can do it right the first time!

:blob4:

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Believe it or not, we actually use trash can lids. They'll hold the dirt in up to a moderate sized mound and it's easy to flip it over when you need to fill the hole back up.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I always use a small (3' x 3') canvas tarp.

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

8 by 8ft tarp for valves
    3 by 4 ft for heads
    sod on one tarp, loose fill dirt on the other.

only open up as many holes as we can close that day.

5. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a great idea.. I have always just put the sod to one side then put the dirt in a different spot.

6. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

We use trash can lids also! Hmm...I wonder if we were on the same brain wave for that idea?

As for trench lines (if we have to do them), we purchased a canvas tarp that was 25x25. We then folded it into 8ths (~ 3ft widths), cut it in longs strips, and when needed, lay it next to the trench to place the dirt on. If we suspect rainfall, then we cover the dirt with additional tarps cut the same way to keep the dirt from washing back into the ditch.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

3x3 or 4x4 weed mat fabric works as does a 50 lb plastic grass seed bag split open or plastic fertilizer bags split open. The weed mat can be bought in 100' rolls.