Digging into a HUGE project

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Digger Dan, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Digger Dan

Digger Dan LawnSite Member

Got a project that will be pretty big for this summer. Doing 2 patios with pavers that will each be 128 sqft, then a replacement retaining wall 24" tall and 16' long. This wall existing wall currently ties into an EP Henry style block wall and has begun to fail. The second patio will have retaining walls on all four sides (one below and three surrounding) totaling about 32 linear feet starting near grade and eventually ending at 36". I will post pics as soon as I can resize my B4 pics.

All work has to be done by hand due to access issues. Only way to get into the yard is via a 24" wide alley, and the only excavator I know of that can get down that alley sleeps at my house:sleeping:. Another issue is labor. I'll be doing the work myself and getting help from family members when I can entice them with beer and pizza.:drinkup:

I'm thinking it can be done in less than 9 weeks and for under 5k.

Thoughts?

2. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

pictures would help

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

5K for 9 wks. labor- keep it, I'll ride my mower and triple that number!

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about pricing hardscapes, but I know for sure that is WAY WAY too low for that job. I'd imagine your materials are at elast half that if not more.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

that's $9.50 /sqft w/o the walls and other stuff... way too low my friend.

6. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say you are way too low. In addition, I would definitely get reliable help.

7. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

This says to me that this is a homeowner/spare time job with budget for materials only (free labor).

Sounds similar to my project from last summer (still haven't posted pics yet): single 350sf patio + path, ~100 sf of retaining wall, lots of hand digging due to access. My time and materials was about the same, working mostly alone, on weekends/nights and a few vacation days. So it sounds doable.

Good luck

8. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I just re-read your post and realized that this is on your own house...I think. I thought you were only charging someone else 5000 to do the project. Ignore my previous post.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

wow 5k for nine weeks!!! i wouldnt ever even get out of bed for that kind of money!!!! thats lame times 1,000

10. CITYWIDEPROPERTYMAINT

CITYWIDEPROPERTYMAINT LawnSite Member

SORRY I WISH I KNEW MORE ABOUT PRICING BLOCK BUT I DONT MAYBE SOME OF THE GUYS THAT ARE HERE SAYING WAY TO LOW WILL PUT SOME NUMBERS OF WHAT IT IS WORTH :drinkup: