Digging or trenching for drain tile???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mx495, May 29, 2008.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

How would you go about this job?
    Approximately 150' of drain tile from commercail guttering. There is an irrigation system and they don't have any sort of map or guide to where it is in the lawn. REALLY rocky clay that is difficult at best to dig. Hand dig it? Rent a trencher> What abou the irrigation? Thanks for any help.

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

dig and fix, no other way to do it. if you have the budget do it by hand, likely cheaper to dig and repair though

3. mx495

from MO

That's what I was thinking, but it just doesn't seem right.LOL What would be the best machine to rent? A trencher with the big chainsaw looking blade? I wouldn't think that would make a wide enough trench.

4. BrandonV

depending on access a mini ex is the easiest, trencher can do it too. not to be hard but do you know how to install tile? get it to fall correctly? what materials you using? drainage is risky if you don't know what you're doing, you mess up and water backs up into a house you're up the preverbal river.
    btw I'm just saying this because you called the trencher a big chainsaw looking thing. I'm not trying to be mean, just giving you a heads up. 150' of pipe is not the same as running a gutter out of a bed. good luck and feel free to ask questions!

5. mx495

from MO

Honestly , no I don't 100% know what I'm doing, but I won't learn unless I do it. It's not 150' straight, it's 5 30' drains. I have done several 75' and less, I've just never used machinery to do it, always hand dug them. The issue here is the rocky soil and amount of drains. I was kind of joking about the "big chainsaw".LOL I guess I was asking if a trencher would make a wide enough path or if I would need a mini x.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the mini ex, if your lucky, you'll find the irrigation pipes and be able to save them. With a trencher, big one, you'll cut right through them.

7. BrandonV

good deal, mini x is going to be the ticket, when you rent it request a 12" bucket... i assume you're running either 4" or 6" PVC. Its also a good idea (i do it at least) to put a clean out T at each downspout or at least the first one on a run. the client will thank you for you're foresight if something was to occur

8. mx495

from MO

I was thinking 6" PVC and running 3 on into one line and 2 into the other. Any idea how long it would take per foot to use the mini x to go app. 1' deep? Someone in a different thread said 1 man her per 10 ft. for hand digging.

9. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

It all depends on how mini of a mini you are using...:) I have a Cat 303c which is in the 8,000lb range. If there is minimal rock, going 30 feet in length at 1ft of depth will take about 15mins. Operators skills vary of course.

I just drained two basball fields-down 1st and 3rd baselines with 100ft trenches at 45 mins per trench. They are great machines.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

A mini ex sounds like a good idea. Might try to irrigation located. Anything perhaps have the locating company hook their transmitter to the common wire on the system and at least maybe try to locate some of the irrigation lines.

Trecher would be ok if conditions are right, or where slope wasn't such a big issue. At least with a mini ex you can get fairly close for fall of the drain line.