Digging the trench for edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by john_incircuit, Jan 18, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I need to install a couple hundred feet of edging. Besides getting an expensive bed scraper, are there any other, low cost machines that can dig the trench also? I know I always could use a shovel...but I don't want to go that low tech.

2. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

no offense but deal with it you are only installing alittle bit, use a stick edger then a shovel thats not low tec thats profit $$$$$$$
  3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Buy you a Mclane edger ,then do your edgeing....clean out with shovel :)
  4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ever thought about just renting a trenchmaster for a half day?
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. $40 for a half day to rent a bed edger. It'll take you half an hour max to edge 200 feet. You'll spend more time picking up and dropping off the machine than what they can edge per hour.
  6. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I doubt you can edge 200 ft in a half hour. Has to be pretty sandy to be able to do that.

I would just rent an edger. you charge that to you costumer anyways.
  7. john_incircuit

from NC

I rented a bed scraper many time from the local home center. Cleanup of the machine takes twice a long as digging the trench, plus it is not always fun to deal with the "experts" from the home center.

Anyway, though about purchasing the EZ Trencher, but $ 2000 just seems to be a lot for a $450 engine, the transmission and a $150 blade. Compare that to the complexity of a Quick 36 for example...

That's why I'm looking for a low cost solution that still gives me quick results.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have you ever used a Brown Edger??/ I can edge as fast as I can walk backwards.

Walk backwards for 1/2 hour and see how far you get...... :dizzy: :dizzy: :rolleyes:
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you installing plastic or steel edging?

If it's plastic, you will probably want a machine of some sort...

If it's steel, the easiest (and probably best) way we've found is to make a slit in the ground with a spade where you want the edging to go, and pound it in from there. If the ground is hard, use a soaker hose and run it for 5-10 minutes.

Oh, and I've used a Brown, and I was never able to edge as fast as I could walk backwards.... Could be due to the high clay content around here....................

10. john_incircuit

from NC

that's a great idea with the spade. How deep do you make the slit, are you just pounding in the last inch or so of the metal edging?