Digging Trench for Customer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KevinACrider, Jun 7, 2008.

1. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Some of you following my bamboo thread will see that I will be needing to rent a trencher and trench out a trench roughly 40' - 45' long, 30" deep. I've not used a trencher before but I'll be using a Vermeer for this. The rental is $100 for 4 hours and the rental store is only 1 mile from the job site, on the same road.

How fast do these things go? Will I be able to have it done in under 4 hours? What should I charge to do the job and will I have to know anything special before using it?

2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Id estimate:

100 for trencher (4 hours plenty to do in and they are easy to use)
    60 for seed and peat/mushroom/whatever you use (for trench when done)
    -------
    $160 for job materials

4 hours labor to get trencher, return trencher, clean off trencher, dig trench
    1 hour labor to seed and topdress
    2 hours labor to fill trench and tamp
    -------
    7 hours labor for this portion

Also, you may have to consider how much soil will be left from whatever you are putting in trench (pipe, stone, whatever). This may take a few hours labor to remove excess and time/cost to dispose of. The time estimates above should give you more than enough time to do the trench and such as you asked.

3. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Actually we're going to be pouring conrete into the trench. Will I have to reseed the area around it or do they generally make a fairly clean cut?

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

You can rake most of the dirt out of that grass. Unless you shovel off the sod from the area you are trenching, just have to ressed 6" trench width. (6" or whatever size you are using)