digging up grass on turns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MowCo, May 30, 2006.

1. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

just got a new JD 717A(my first ztr mower) and have a question. Is there a way to prevent digging up the grass when turning, or is that just what happens if the grass is not well rooted?

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

when doing a left-turn for instance, dont let the inside tire (left tire) comletly stop. you can use a K turn or a Y turn, i just take the turn, back up a little bit, then go straight ahead, but thats just me....im sure that the other guys can explain it better than me

3. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I'm having the same trouble.. I just got my zero and still getting the hang of it.. I'm not having too much trouble with tearing up the grass just leaving unwanted lines from turning... I like to have the lines perfect.. Still learning and probably will be for some time to come..

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

just make sure the back tires are always moving when you make your turn. I always go around the outside of the property twice before trying to lay stripes. That way it gives you a little room to do a Y turn

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

There's your key. Two racetracks, then the stripe. Go back and do the racetracks after you get done with the stripes.

On weaker turf, it is virtually impossible to not tear the turf on a turn unless you do a slow K turn.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, slow down before you start your turn.
    Usually the combined effects of the de-acceleration and initiating a turn places more force on the turf, resulting in a torn area.
    All the fancy maneuvering in the world will not counteract the effects of the turn unless you slow down first.

7. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Why didn't I think of that. Makes sense..:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

SWD about hit the nail on the head. Also, in weaker and/or wetter conditions, a 3 point turn can become more like a 5 or a seven point turn. Pretend that you mower doesn't turn that sharp. You ever see an old person trying to get in or out of a tight parking space? well, in a sense, ythat's what you have to do. Even going around 3 or 4 ft. tree rings, you have to oversteer. In other words, go too far part way around, and back up at a curve part way around here and there. I do this an average of 3 times per tree ring when I do this. It saves ALOT of stress on the turf right around the tree ring when you do this. It's funny, it looks like you may not know what you're doing, or that you're not a very proficient driver, but in reality, to an well experienced operator, they know EXACTLY what yu are doing.

9. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Lawbsite has been around a number of years. This topic has been asked and answered many, many times. Do a search.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use the mushroom-turn. I don't like Y or K turns because these involve stop and go, at least for me a long, continuous flow turn does the trick... I just like it better, we can argue about which is faster but here it is:
    [​IMG]

It helps also to do the turn somewhere like on a paved surface. As for me, I get creative of late and have been known to go off into the dirt areas to turn, if these exist. Be mindful of which way the chute is facing when doing so (away from houses / cars first, but away from turf a close second).

erm..., the reason for doing the two perimeter tracks is to define a grass free outside area so it doesn't throw clippings everywhere onto paved surfaces once striping starts (less cleanup later)... And, to do tracks after the stripes...?