Digging up old threads????

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 8, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Now I'm not trying to start something here but it seems like several users (not picking on anyone particular I noticed several doing it) are apparently using the search feature. Great! But why reply to a thread that is one or two years old and drag it back up to the top? Usually the info it contained or question it asked is no longer useful. I mean it's time sensitive material like a question on a certain bid on a certain property, or what about this used mower, etc. I can see sometimes but what is the point? I even noticed one guy just replied to say I dug this up look here it is. That is kinda lame??
    sorry for griping, but what is the point, I know sometimes you can learn from them but not always. I dont' want to come off sounding like I am a moderator or getting after someone, I just want to know is there a reason?
    thanks,
    Eric

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I will start this by addressing a coment to LGF. Ward, weren't you a little hard on the Beave?

Well it's probably a littly payback for the people who insist on showing there seniority by answering a post with "Do a search" Careful what you wish for!

I am not picking on anyone in particular, but why do people insist on posting a whole bunch of pictures in thousands of posts of the same four pieces of equipment. And why to they take up memory space listing all of ther equipment at the end of every post? And why do some people just invite people to ridicule them? I don't Know son, it just happens.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ouch lol. i dont see a problem with brining up an old post. they used the search feature and still have questions. it beats opening up a new thread i think, cause the people who know about the question have already responded and will probably make a follow up. secondly, what does it matter if a thread is dragged back up. my theory is, if you gotta problem with it, dont post.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yes but you can block signatures and pictures or even whole usernames. I don't recall blocking post older than a week old or whatever. So if you don't like my sig. line, tell everyone else (with lists, gif's or whatever) to take off theirs and I will mine. Or just turn off signatures. Can also block pictures. So you still didn't answer why are people rehashing old threads?
    Eric

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree about the equipment list. It takes up a lot of space that really isn't needed. If everybody did it, the space taken up would overwhelm the whole site. My list alone would run for several pages, and I,m quite sure most of you could care less

Doug

6. I agree with BHB, what's the point? And as far as BHB's posts, pictures, equipment, WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD??? Is it not possible to stick to a single subject? Somebody starts a thread asking about controls, and it ends up as a war of words over brand names. Sometimes these posts read like a bunch of pety old women, bickering over who said what to who. Again, the SUBJECT is: What's the point of bringing up two year old threads??? I can see it for a topic here and there, but some people seem to make a habit of doing it.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

mdb, they're so old no one would remember the thread much less if they replied already.
    doug, remember it can be blocked, I have tons more stuff than listed but this is the main stuff i use alot. Also, sometimes it is helpful to see what everyone has so if you have a question you know who to ask.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think the more relevant choice about bringing old topics back to the top of the pile would be that many have information from a lot here who are either too busy to post or have stopped posting for whatever reason -- yet most of the info is probably still relevant.

I wouldnt necessarily say bring up a quote this lawn or how much for this commercial unless you would like to compare your notes to theirs and see if you cant get a few more replies to get a feel as to whether or not people are still charging the same ways they used to.

However, there are many great threads in the archives pertaining to pricing that it wouldnt hurt to have people place their .02 into so that "searchers" dont have to sift thru 300 how much for an aeration type thread -LOL!!

Just my nickle.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Old threads are useful. Any showing that you researched before asking a question means you care to learn, rather than just create babble. And I would class asking a question about "aeration," "best blower," "striping," and many other topics as babble. When I see someone ask these much hashed questions, as if they were never discussed before, I assume the poster is just looking for attention. I'll not waste my time answering something that has been answered 100 times in the past year. Many people here are just ignorant of the etiquette of bulletin boards: you are supposed to search before asking a question.

And what better way to show you searched than to ask your question at the end of an old thread that treats of your question, but not not answer it specifically?

Also it's funny to see an old thread brought up, and people start posting on it like the question is just asked. Again, you see the self attention and babble - these posters just want to post, don't even check thread topic, when started, or where thread starter and other posters on thread are from geographically.

Try it yourself some day. Do a search on "aeration" or any other much discussed topic. Do the search "By last posting Date" and "in ascending order." Then as you read, you will see how actual information deteriorates as you move forward in time.

10. I can understand what you are saying.buts its kinda of neat to come across some of these old post.Some great or wild statements take as is.I have been fooled with responding to a old post.The only time its gets to me when I see stone's name in there it makes me cringe:dizzy: