digging up the city main

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turfman59, Jun 29, 2003.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that wants a sprinkler system. He has a 3/4 inch galvinized service. this service in my opinion is too small to irrigate the size yard he has. I have estimated 58 heads if they are going to be supplied by a 3/4 galvinized.
    My thoughts are to dig up the main and supply the system with 1 1/4 inch supply. City supply pressure is 65 psi.
    what I want to know is this system is going to be seperate from the house can I use a drain valve below grade to drain the Backflow preventer? I was considering putting them inside of 5" pvc as a housing.
    Can anyone give me some tips. I want this project to be a poster child it is 3 blocks up from my house and he is a well known person....

I am using SS RB 5000's Hunter pro C, Rain click.

My estimate is with the 1 1/4" supply I can cut the heads needed down to about 45 and only need 6 zones on the lawn areas
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

you want to run how many rotors on a zone??? it seems to me you should go back to the design board and rethink your approach.

do you know how much $ it will cost to bring new water service to the home??? do you know how much a wet tap cost?

also, why not bring a 2" copper main to the lawn area. create a 'pit' for the point of connection and go from there...you could put 10 rotors on a zone with a 2" main...just be sure to size your pipe right for friction loss and pressure loss...

try to find a sprinkler dude to design system for you to avoid problems in the future...

just my 2 cents.
  3. turfman59

The cost is $ 450 for the tap and a local contractor will dig it up for $ 200.00

with 1 1/4 inch copper supply I can get 22 gallons a minute

whats the big deal ? $ 650.00 is cheap.......

why do I need a sprinkler dude to design it. I can use 7 heads at a time with 3 gallons per minute... I thought I would up size the main to 1 1/2 " poly........What do you think Harold ?

I am all exposed here.... take your best shot LOL
  4. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

You should rethink your 3gpm deal. Are you going to put quarter halves, and fulls on seperate zones so you can water accordingly. That is why a sprinkler dude was suggested to desing this system. If you use 3 gpm for different arcs you are going to have a dessert in one area and a pond right next to it. pick up a desing book at your local supply shop.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Also ck with local officials, you'll most likely need a permit and some municipalities have restrictions on irrigation. Aside from that, I'd go the 2" copper route also.

6. greenworldh20

here in ny/nj, you will not find any contractor to excavate and fill in a hole for $200!!! no one will bring a machine out here for that price...maybe $500-$750. wet taps here go for $500-$700. then you have backflow, the pit, master valves, blow out valves...remember, we are here to make money.

don't give it away for $650...also, like i said, design the system first...don't just say i will put 'x' amount of heads on a zone with
    'y' nozzles.
  7. turfman59

My big question is the back flow preventer

what is a feasible method of installing it seperate with a drain valve or is there still a posibility of contamination as explained in the first post I made ????/??????????
  8. turfman59

2 inches your scarrying me ....... the biggest I have ever done is 1 1/2 " main....... why 2 inches........ less water hammer or what ???
  9. greenworldh20

you will shorten the amount of time you have to water this property...this is a big concern when you have a short time to water turf and plants in a drought emergency.

also, more water pressure and volume means you can space the heads further, meaning less heads...

it seems real simple to me.

there is really no big price difference between 1 1-2 and 2 copper...

like i said, just my .02

my qualifications:
    certified irrigation contractor
    licensed general contractor
    new jersey licensed irrigation contractor
    14 years experience in irrigation
    over 1,000 systems installed, thousands serviced in past 5 years...

:dizzy: crazy, ain't it?
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Again, ck with local officials. Most, if not all, that I've dealt with will not let you put a drain or blowout of any type between the backflow preventer and the main. You'll have to use a pit (easiest) or run the pipe into the buiding (hardest) to prevent from freezing. BTW, I was pulling a permit in a local township. Tap-in fee is $1,800 and the township employees have to do the tap-in. Client is upset about the fee, may want to investigate digging a well.