Digging with skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the best bucket to have for digging if you do any at all is one with teeth. I notice especially where I live allot of skid steers around here don't have any teeth at all. Just wondering how many people try to dig without teeth

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

teeth are good but not a must have for digging ,depends on what you dig,dig man?

3. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

It's like eating a steak without teeth. If youre determined to do it you can, but it's gonna take you a little longer than a guy whose got a set.LOL

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: yes very good.

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Fieldman........I got hooked on Rezloh blades (rezloh.com). I don't think I would ever consider a straight edge or regular teeth again. Once you try the rezloh set-up, there is really no comparison to anything else out there. It is the best of all worlds.

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is a rezloh? I would need a 72" size for my skid steer.

7. RockSet N' Grade

I think they run $800-$850 as I recall. Best money I have spent and would do it again. In fact, I just bought a 60" tilt bucket for my excavator and will put a rezloh on that as soon as it is in my hot little hands.

8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Man does that make me feel dumb. That is so simple I can't believe I never thought to do that. I gotta get a set for my Dingo to try them. Do they really work well without digging in when you just need the smooth edge. Only thing I can see that might not work well is backdragging for a smooth finish.
    Think of the time and hassle saved by not having to pack 2 Bobcat buckets to most jobs.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually they back drag very smooth. The only issue that I have had with the Rezloh edge is picking material off of asphalt. Be very careful. You can stick that edge right through on even a semi warm day. The other is picking material off a curb. I like to roll the bucket up the curb to reduce shoveling. Doesn't work with a Rezloh. The edge is awesome and worth every penny. I had the same edge on the same bucket the last three machines (85XT and two 95XTs). I have just now replaced it with this last machine. You get your moneys worth.

10. RockSet N' Grade

I gotta say "ditto" to the asphalt.....I have made some pretty impressive boo-boo's in the asphalt when I first got my rezloh.....don't even like to talk about it, but on the flip side, they rip up asphalt real nice. Picking up material against a curb is another draw back for sure. I have learned to watch curbs, sidewalks and other surfaces real close so I don't tear them up or brand them with my blade.