Digital camera as a tax deduction

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dfor, Mar 19, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone in maintenance ever taken a digital camera as a tax deduction? I would imagine it would be ok. Just wondering if anyone has done it.
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yup. Wrote mine off this year.

Worked great with the new baby too!:p
  3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

My accountant say yes as long as you use it for some business reason. Like showing some of your work on Lawn Site. :)
    I take before and after pictures of walls and landscape work. When we first got ours we were taking about a hundred pictures a day. Can't do that with film. Least ways I couldn't afford to. LOL
  4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I'm going to get a digital camcorder type next. Will do some videos for advertisment. Will also take it on vacation with me as well.:)
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrote mine off this year also.
  6. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

Yes you can write it off as a business expense. If over 100 bux you might want to consider recording it as an asset and depreciating it. You can depreciate the same thing this year....basically the same as counting it as an expense. However, if you don't depreciate it and you are audited could be disallowed since it is a capital investment with a useful life over one year.
  7. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

yep, can deduct it. I use it for after I'm done plowing and salting the walks. That way when the turn around and sue for the pavement being icy I can bring my pictures and show that when I left this is how it looked. Granted, haven't had to use it yet so I'm not sure if it would work, but hey it's better than "I can assure you there was no ice when I left, honest!"
  8. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Missy - Don't forget about your section 179 depreciation. That camcorder can be written off even inside the depreciations rules. And even aside from the 179 rules, it is all relative to the size of the company. "Material Purchase" for one company will not be the same for another company. I promise you, Microsoft will not be taking the time to depreciate every $500 purchase they make. Nor do I for that matter.

I set my threshold at $1000. Under that it gets written off. Over that I capitalize it. Other companies will be different, though.

9. hcinarf

hcinarf LawnSite Member
    from 42754

what type of digital camera is the best?
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to buy one this year as well and write it off and a my step mother had an extra one she does not use she said I can have it.Now if I can only get the receipt from her.LOL