Digital cameras and welders?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 14, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Will it damage a digital camera to take a picture of someone welding? I mean like set the auto timer on a tripod and start welding and let it snap one of you? I wouldn't think it would do any harm since they do it on TV all the time but just checking! :)

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it might depend on the camera, whether or not it has a variable film speed feature in it, i can choose like 4 speeds on mine to suit the light and such, hmmm i think i'll have to try your idea too:)

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No I mean a film-less digital camera:confused:

4. vipermanz

well duh, my dc has the function to select different light settings which is the equivilant of changing films in a film camera, sorry to confuse;)

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh yea mine has 4 settings, indoor dim, indoor bright, outdoor dim, outdoor bright. So I should use outdoor bright probably?

6. vipermanz

i have 100, 200, 400, and auto, plus the EV adjustments, i would put it on outdoor bright ,i'll see how mine does with it on 400 speed later.

7. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Several weeks ago I cut open a vault door at work with a plasma cutter.I thought that it would make a great home movie. so I set up my wifes digital sony palmcorder on a tripod and started blasting away.well to make things short and sweet the last thing that camera ever saw was me sneering into the lens saying "FOLKS DONT TRY THIS AT HOME" my wife now has a NEW palmcorder and I had to have her car detailed just to make up for it all.

8. vipermanz

owwww, guess i won't try that then!!!

9. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree with Turfguy.... the bright light may damage the electronic "lense" or sensor in the camera. Some are more prone to damage than others... if you had the proper filter you would be OK, otherwise it is safer to not try it.