Digital Cameras..

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I need a good camera. I was just wondering what you guys use.

I am looking to spend 300 bucks or less. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. perkMOW

perkMOW LawnSite Member

for personal use i have a cannon digital camera that i bought at wal-mart for around $250. it works great, i haven't had a problem with it and the picture quality is IMO superb. it is compact and has a large viewing screen. the whole thing seems solid even the battery charger is sleek.

3. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

Get as many mega pixels as you can afford. I use a canon D20. A little more than you want to spend. fuji makes some great ones also.

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Quick Picks

Best value for most people:

• Kodak EasyShare C875 , $230

The 8-megapixel Kodak EasyShare C875 has 5x optical zoom, manual focus, a 2.5-inch LCD, panoramic stitch assist, and MPEG-4 video recording.
    For greater resolution and control:

• Nikon Coolpix P4 , $330
    • Olympus Stylus 800 , $300
    • Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 , $500
    • Fujifilm FinePix E900 , $290, CR Best Buy

All have 8- or 9-megapixel resolution, manual controls, very good or excellent print quality, and are fairly lightweight. The Olympus Stylus 800 has excellent battery life, a 2.3-inch LCD, and a long flash range. The Nikon Coolpix P4 has very good battery life, a 3.5x optical zoom, and a 2.4-inch LCD, but long shutter lag and next-shot delay. The Fujifilm FinePix E900 has excellent battery life, a 4x optical zoom, 2-inch LCD, a very sharp lens, less-graininess at high ISO settings, and can save images as a RAW file. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 has very good battery life, a 4x optical zoom, a 2.5-inch LCD, an optical image stabilizer, can save images as a RAW file, and has manual focus. But it has a long shutter lag. It can display photos on wide-screen TVs using 16:9 aspect mode. Resolution drops with other aspect modes. (Also available: the newer, 10-megapixel DMC-LX2, $500.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a camera that fits in a purse:

• Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 , $380
    • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 , $210
    • Canon PowerShot SD500 Digital ELPH , $370
    • Casio Exilim EX-Z850 , $350

All are small and light, with excellent or very good print quality, and 3x optical zoom. The 7-megapixel Canon PowerShot SD500 Digital ELPH has good battery life, but a long shutter lag and lacks manual controls. (Also available: the newer, 10-megapixel SD900, $500.) The 8-megapixel Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 has excellent battery life, short shutter lag, a 2.9-inch LCD, and manual controls. (Also available: the newer, 10-megapixel DSC-N2, $450.) The 8-megapixel Casio Exilim EX-Z850 has excellent battery life, manual controls, manual focus, a 2.4-inch LCD, and a simulated image stabilizer. The 6-megapixel Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 has excellent battery life, short shutter lag and next-shot delay, a 2.4-inch LCD, but no manual controls.
    For SLR-like capability at a modest price:

• Kodak EasyShare P880 , $360

Lighter than an SLR, this has excellent print quality, 8-megapixel resolution, manual controls, a 5.8x optical zoom, 2.4-inch LCD, in-camera red-eye removal, and manual focus. It can also make adjustments to a RAW file and save it as a separate JPEG. But it has long shutter lag. At ISO settings above 400, resolution drops to 0.8 megapixels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a long zoom range is a priority:

• Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 , $310
    • Fujifilm FinePix S5200 , $280, CR Best Buy
    • Kodak EasyShare Z612 , $300

All have 5- or 6-megapixel resolution, very good or excellent print quality, a 10x or 12x optical zoom, an image stabilizer, and excellent battery life. The Sony has a short shutter lag and next-shot delay, manual focus, and can zoom optically during video recording. But it has a small, 1.9-inch LCD. The Fujifilm FinePix S5200 has a very sharp lens, 1600 ISO setting, manual focus, and short next-shot delay. But it has a small, 1.8-inch LCD. The Kodak EasyShare Z612 is very easy to use, has a 2.4-inch LCD, and can zoom during video recording.
    If you often record video:

• Olympus Stylus 720SW , $340
    • Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 , $240

These very good cameras record video as well as a high-rated camcorder.

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I just recently got a new one. I got the Kodak C743 7.1 mega pixel. It's small enough that it fits in the palm of my hand.

The picture of ETW's truck at MAHTS was taken using that camera.

Rob

6. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

stay away from kodak. If it breaks they don't make replacement parts. Sorry Lazer z.

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Best Buy has a full replacement plan, if it breaks and can't be fixed they replace it. I've never had bad luck with kodak and I already have easy share on my comp and it would have been a PITA to switch everything over for another brand. I really like how small the NEW cameras are getting.

Rob

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I will get something ordered up in the morning.

I'll be posting pics like crazy then. Gotta back up all my yapping.

9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Sony DSCF-828 8 Mega pixel camera. We've published the Evening Star Lighting brochures using this camera. Great for experienced users.

$300 or less... I would go with a name brand. Learn how to use the camera so you can make the most of it. There is no substitution for optics! Get one with the biggest glass lens as possible if you intend to shoot landscape work.

Kodak cameras are ok, but I hear they use proprietary software/accessories.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just got a Kodak z710. my wife has a kodak also(cant remember the #) It takes a good picture and we also have the docking station and it prints out 4x6 pictures. My camera cost about $250.00. So far I like it very well

wayne