Digital Manuals and oil leak issue.....

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by PipeHitter, Jul 18, 2008.

1. PipeHitter

PipeHitter LawnSite Member

Recently purchased a 72" SuperZ w/31hp Kawi and I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Great mower, nice job Hustler.

Any ideas on when Hustler will be updating their manuals on the web site? They do not have either my Owners or Parts manuals listed, and I would really like to have them. I'd also like to have manual for my engine as well.
    Model# 928911A
    Engine# FX850V

On the oil leak, its where the oil is drained in the back of the mower, looks like a brass spout with a valve to open/close the flow. Where it is leaking at is where it goes into the engine. Looks like the idea is to hold the spout steady with a wrench and then tighten the nut against the engine. I suspect there is an o-ring back behind it. However, I can not budge the nut at all with normal arm leverage.

I'm sure I could move it with more leverage, but at this point its pretty damn tight, not too sure what further tightening will accomplish if its leaking now, not to mention I'm worried that its brass and I may strip the threads. Think the o-ring might be cut?

Mower has 7.2hrs on it and I would say it started around 5. I have cleaned the area well and I'm sure of where the leak is originating.

Thanks for any help.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the Hustler family!!
    As to the manuals, I will have to talk to our technical publications guys, I am sure they are just not caught up on the public site yet, I will find out.
    Although, the engine manual would have to come from Kawasaki, we don't have anything in regards to digital format manuals for them.
    Your oil leak needs to be taken care of ASAP with your dealer, they can take care of this easily, give them a call.
    Without seeing the mower in person I cant possibly tell you to try to tighten something, I would be concerned, as you are, that something may get stripped.

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

DO NOT!!! tighten the drain spout as tight as you can. If overtightend it can crack your oil pan. Take it to your dealer and they can fix it easily.
  4. PipeHitter

For anyone else in the same boat, Kawi fiche can be found here:

mowerconsultant, can you get me the part# for the hydro filter, blades, and belt? My model # is 928911A

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

6. PipeHitter

Outstanding, thanks for the follow up!

And as for my small leak, tbh I just couldn't see going thru the hassle of borrowing a trailer to load this beast up and truck it to the dealer. I ordered a new o-ring for the spout, and put a little teflon tape around the threads, seems to have stopped it.

Thanks again for posting the manual link, btw I love this mower!
  7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am glad you love your mower, they are great !!
  8. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

both my 31's leaked there too