dilemma, help me pick a CTL. bobcat/case/gehl

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turboawd, May 7, 2007.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

alright, i visited a few dealers today, case,bobcat,gehl. these dealers are fairly close to me. i'd like to buy one this week.
    these are the machine choices:
    bobcat t300
    case 450ct or 440ct
    gehl ctl70

i want to get a machine fully loaded. i had driven the gehl a while ago, and while it had no frills it was ok. i dont know about their durability though.

today, i demoed a case 465 tire machine and a 440ct, and i was amazed at how much stronger the track machine was. it would outdig/push the wheeled machine by far. also has a 3 year powertrain warranty.

i still havent demoed a t300 yet. the dealer dooesnt have one at the moment, plus he'd have to order it which would take a month. i'm going to call a buddy of mine who just got a fully loaded t300, and see how it drives. this machine has a 2 year power train warranty.

can you guys give your opinion? :waving:
    i'm not too concerned about saving a few dollars from one machine to the other. i want what's best.
    my main use will be back filling, grading, and spread some gravel.

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say all three would make good machines for you. I guess it's up to dealer service and price. My choice would be the Case.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Curious, but could these tasks be handled by a wheeled machine? I would hate to see yet another person jump on the CTL bandwagon, drop an additional $15K, and then lose their @$$ on the machine because a wheeled machine would have suited their operation just fine. Seems to me you're doing very general tasks that could easily be handled with a wheeled machine.

4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

well in just the time i used the two machines at the case dealer(dirt field), i was a lot more productive in the track machine. i hate how the wheel machines just spin the tires.

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

One of my buddies and i were working on spreading some gravel and pushing large piles of dirt i was in a cat wheeled loader idk what model or anything it was not mine and he was on a vermeere track machine similar to a toro dingo the ride on ones that he had just bought. Anyway i will say he was far and away more productive than i was with a smaller machine. I was reduced to scooping up gravel and moving it where i wanted to while he just pushed the gravel out and pushed over piles of dirt to smooth them out. he though i just didnt know how to run it good so he got in and i got the ride one a world of difference i think the cat had plenty of power on that end of things but no way to get that power to the ground. It would be like a dragster with passanger car tires vs a dragster with race slicks they both make the same power just one can connect that power to the ground the other would just spin the tires. I think the wheel loaders have their place when working on pavment and concreat but the track ones perform much better in my opinion in dirt,grass,rock,sand and about everything else thats not solid

6. Fieldman12

The track machines have there place don't get me wrong but the issue I have in most areas your not getting more money to compensate for the wear and tear of the undercarriage and the extra $15,000.00 up front. Not to mention they dont seem to have the resale value. If you can price a job and get extra money for the tracks thats fine but in some areas its by the hour and if someone else can beat you by about 5 to 15 bucks an hour than there going to get the job especially now since the economy is not so hot. I understand you got more weeks in the year to work and can work in muddier conditions but your also having to work that muck harder to pay for that undercarriage and that $15,000.00 more up front cost. I would definiatly want to make sure I was burried in work to pay for it. I would look at the Deere machines also since they seem to be liked well int the CTL department. I think the Gehl/Takeuchi would be my next choice.

7. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

fieldman,
    cost is not an issue, since i'm not competing with anyone else. it will be used for my own jobs.

as far as deere go, there is no dealer near me. plus i had demoed a wheeled machine a couple years ago (280II?), and i was not too impressed. it bogged down if i ran it hard. i dont know if it was fuel slosh??

does the t300 push as hard as the case machines?
    i do think bobcat has the best cabs which is nice.
    decisions, decisions...

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

My choice would be the Case 450CT. That warranty is a good deal. I had a T-300 before I traded it in for my Deere CT332. It was overall a nice machine, but I didn't like the E/H controls. I also had some things break or go bad with low hours. They just seem to be a little outdated IMO compared to some of the newer models from other companies, one of them being Case. Mine was not a K-Series, so the newer ones probably have a little more umph.

Something that people seem to forget about CTL's is that if you're working in dirt, especially a job like a backfill, you'll get finished quicker. Sometimes you may not be able to charge more for having the more expensive machine, but your production can make up for it. I get that guys shouldn't go out and buy a CTL if they're just looking to get in the business, but for those who have worked in the dirt and are established (which it sounds like turboawd is), a CTL can be a valuable asset. I think if the majority of your work is off pavement and away from sharp debris, you really can't go wrong with a CTL. They have really become popular around here because the conditions are wet for so much of the year, a wheeled skid just can't do the same things off the curb that a CTL can, of course it has it's limits too. The best of both worlds is to have a wheeled skid and CTL, and take the one to the job that makes the most sense (or dollars).:usflag:

9. Fieldman12

The Bobcats are good machines. As to which pushes better you may need to demo one. My bets though is the Case will push just as good if not better. As for the 280 II with fuel slosh not sure what that was cause by. I have a 250 II and it will spin the tires before it will bog very much but the 280 is a bigger frame and more ponies. I agree with Dozerman21 that if your established and work in the correct environment a track machine cannot be beat. I think people jsut need to look at them as a small dozer in the upkeep area. A dozer has always been expensive to maintain. The Case has the better warranty. I would lean toward it.

10. Fieldman12

Maybe Bobcat has a machine available close in size to the T300? I know you would rather demo the T300 but sounds like your going to be waiting a bit. I also saw that you did not care about the price tag.