Dilemma, need help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tcalb2, Mar 21, 2007.

1. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I started my own company this year, Maintenance and some hardscapes. My old boss who has Screwed me over on a few occasions, wants me to do all of this hardscapes this year. Meaning that I would be booked solid til august. My only problem is that my company is just starting to get off the ground and I don't know if I should take the oppurtunity with my old boss or try to stick with the maintenance end of things and get my stuff rock n rolling. Also I don't know if this is a typical sub-contraction agreement but he wants to pay me by the hour. thanks for help guys

2. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

Oh yea the only other thing too is he does alot of work for a really well known landscape architect in the area. I'm thinking this through because ,my old boss is thinking about getting out of hardscapes and into excavation and this could also be an oppurtunity to get the architect as a client. I don't know if anyone has had experience with this type of situation let me know how it worked out.

3. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Fool me once, strike one. Fool me twice...strike three

Not typical that I've heard of. How much per hour and what does that include? Will it cover your OH, profit, etc.? How is the situation going to be different from when you were an employee? Whose tools/equipment/trucks etc. will you be using? Do you have your own insurance?

How much control will he have over you, what days you have to work his jobs, how many hours you need to put in per day, etc. Does the hourly rate cover your employees if you need them? I'm sure your old boss will have an idea of what kind of time it will take to get jobs done. What happens when you go over budgeted hours?

Sorry I have more questions than answers.

4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

per hour seems to be bad for all involved. I would ask for a per sq ft price. we pay our mason subs like that. if you move fast and get work done efficiently you can make out nicely. if you are slow, you get beat. its also better for the GC because he has a fixed price on the job. if your truck blows up on the way to the job and your crew doesn't show up, it doesn't cost him a dime extra. I think its better by the sq ft. for everyone.

5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I say no, definately do not work under that arrangement, especially since he has shown to be untrustworthy.

Instead, think about offering him a referral fee for sending work your way.

2% to 5% of the gross sale amounts would be appropriate I believe. Just figure that fee into your cost of the job as you prepare the bid(s)

6. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it, I'm meeting with him tomorow afternoon to go over his schedule this year. Atleast now I know some things that I should be pondering before going into the meeting.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I frequently hear people say "so and so screwed me over", or "so and so didin't do a thing for me", as if they expect that people owe them something.

So I ask myself:

1) Did his boss really screw him over, or is he not able to understand fairness?

2) The dilema you are axin us for advice on, is something that NO ONE can answer.

People do whats in their heart. PLAIN & SIMPLE.

I'm a hardscaper, (and yes, like your old boss, we do excavating as well - less competition and mor profit).

But since hardscaping is in my blood, I live, sleep, and eat hardscaping. If there is a commercial on TV, and pavers are in the background - my eyes pick right up on them. If I'm traveling and there is a hardscape way offf in the far distance - my eyes pick up on them instantly.

If you can relate to this - then maybe hardscaping is your passion.

If you can't - then STAY THE HELL AWAY from it :)

If you can not trust your old boss, then do not sub-contract any work for him. But STILL do the work. The way it works is your contract directly with the client - then you pay the old boss a commission. This way you are not waiting on payment from him, etc.