Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Frontier-Lawn, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Little job in a week. the lady wants me to redo a plant bed at the rear of her house. she wants all the plants taken out. there are several nice banana trees, and 7' holly tree. (& she does not want to reuse them) now would it be unethical if i just keep them for myself instead of off to the dump with them?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think so. Consider it a bonus for a job well done.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'd feel worse throwing perfectly good plants in the dump if it were me... Giving them a new home is the best thing you could do, plus once they are in your truck it's really no business or concern of the customer what you do with it wether you chip it up, plant them or burn them for heat.
    Congrats on the new plants!

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Your job it to get them out of her yard. What you do with them after that is totally up to you.

5. vharrison2

vharrison2 LawnSite Member

I agree, she asked you to get rid of them...

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

If it really bothers you just tell her you would like to use it at your house. I'm sure she would be fine with that knowing that would just go to the dump otherwise.

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd sell them to another customer if I had a buyer. Plant them in your yard and dont worry about it.

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've salvaged many, many different plants from customers that didn't want them any more, some basic standards and some worth hundreds of dollars like a pom pom black pine a just picked up and three potted windmall palms that the client no longer wanted.

I agree with the previous post that throwing away perfectly good plant material is a higher travesty than keeping a plant somebody no longer wants.

9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

IMO I don't see anything wrong with transplanting the trees or plants. In your yard or someone else that may want to buy them from you. You may need to check into whether you need a special license or permit to sell them however...each state is different I believe. Also I don't think I'd mention to the customer as to what your plans are for the removed plants, she may expect a discount. Just do as she requested and the rest is up to you.

Buck

10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the shrubs, plants etc @ my home are from customers that didn't want them anymore.. some of them i even resold to other customers payup

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :angel: