Dimension and Momentum Tank Mixed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Whitey4, May 21, 2008.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I have a friend in Wisconsin..... she is using some "local" fert and squirt company.... after firing TG for this year. They only got around to applying last week.... and they said that the soil temps had not been 50 degrees for 3 consecutive days yet.... so they didn't apply until last week. We're talking May 14th for crabgrass controls...

When they finally did apply, it was apparently a tank mix of Dimension and Momentum, with this little tidbit left in the mailbox...

"We have applied your first annual broadleaf weed control and crabgrass control. Please avoid mowing you lawn for 24 hours. Rain will not affect this treatment unless it occurs during or immediately after our visit. Allow 14 days for results to show." His own personal written comments, "Todays treatment will prevent crabgrass germination and cause broadleaf weeds to curl and die within 14 days."

I've never heard of applying Dimension and a broad leaf at the same time, never mind the same tank mix. The "comments" about rain sound like BS to me.... how long, or rather how quickly does a liquid app of Dimension volatize? No directions to water it in? Well, I guess if you spray for broadleaved at the same time.... not to mention the soil temps had to be warm enough in Wisconsin for crabgrass germination before May 14-15....

This sort of application is something I would never do, but is it viable (and effective) to apply pre-M and broad leaf controls at the same time? In the same mix?

I told my friend what I thought about this.... and she asked me to call the applicator. Before I did, I wanted some opinions from those more experienced than I on something like this. Is Pre-M and BL mixed a competent application? TIA....

2. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I tank mix pre-emergent with weed control all the time. Escpecially when I am doing first applications on yards with a ton of broadleaf. Liquid Dimension is not affected by the rain unless it were to flood. It is pretty late in the season to be applying pre-m for crabgrass, but it is better than not getting a pre-m down. Dimension will actually kill crabgrass in very early stages of growth. Hope this helps!

3. Whitey4

Oh, and PS: Don't have data for May, but the GDD in Madison WI on April 30th was 255......

4. Whitey4

I wasn't too sure about Dimension and how it might volitize when not soon watered in, but as you can see, the GDD for Wisconsin was 255 on April 30.... and they waited another two weeks. Also, I have an issue with their statement that unless it rains IMMEDIATELY after the app, it won't affect BL kill. Thanks for the response. I always seperate my Pre-M and broadleaf... I use granular pre-m and spray for BL's, so I have no experience with liquid pre-m's at all.

5. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

Since the dimension is already in the liquid form it does not need the water to form the barrier in the soil. Water will affect the results of the weed control. I try to spray yards that have weeds when there is going to be at least 24 hours without rain. What are you using to apply your product a PG?

6. Whitey4

I'm a solo LCO.... so not a ton of accounts and my territory is high end but small manicured properties, typically like 100X120-140, but lots of $ spent on landscaping. Usually only 2 to 4k of turf at most. I use a regular broadcast speader for granular apps and a 4 gallon backpack. For most apps, 4 gallons handles 2+ properties for typical broadcast apps. I go granular for most things except post-M stuff. Thus, my complete lack of experience using pre-M liquids..... which is why I asked.

So, this guy did things right, used good controls, but was just late on the Dimension app, right?

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I mix barricade and weed killer twice a year. Have essentially perfect results. As for Dimension's uv volatility, I don't know. Barricade has a 14 day window, though - so perhaps Dimension does, too...

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds pretty normal to me too. Many guys have gotten away from the "don't water for 24 hours" deal for the BL control because of too many callbacks if it rains or the sprinklers run accidently. Truthfully, if the chemical is mixed right and a surfactant is used, once it's good and dry on the plant it will usually do its job, reguardless of water/rain.

And yes, Dimension does offer some post-emergent control on crabgrass. If you want to know if it's germinated or not just LOOK. Find bare places, especially around the edges of the lawn and see if there's crab sprouting there. If not, then there's really no need to worry.

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Wisconsin and use Dimension in a liquid form all the time. It doesn't need to be watered in and I have not seen one speck of crabgrass germination as of today, so he was not to late to apply it. We have had a very cool spring, in fact there is a chance of frost north of me, so I think he did fine. I am using Speedzone in these cool temps as Momentum works to slow for me when it is this cold.

10. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

We do a granular pre-emergent followed a month later by a broadleaf app to make sure that we don't have to spray the stuff which germinated right after the 2,4-d went down.
    Combining them in a liquid form seems to leave the just-hatching seedlings a window of viability which wouldn't be there with split apps.