Dimension App....then RAIN...Lots of it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TLS, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Should I be worried about TOO much rain?

Applied April 9th & 10th. We got a fair amount of rain the 11th and 12th. I was a little worried about that rain as it was quick and heavy at times.

Then we got this monster storm this past Sun/Mon/Tues/etc.

I guess I'm worried that the prills were washed away.

I would be OK with normal rains, but these were just VERY extreme.

After last seasons extreme crabgrass problems, I'm worried that all that seed is just ready to pop and my barrier just got washed down stream.

Am I over concerned, or do I have a valid reason to be?

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I wouldn't think that the prills would be washed away unless your lawns were on a slope and the run off was extreme. However, I would wonder if the prills had released and the preventive germicide was washed so deep that the seed were not effected by the leaching of the chemical. Were you using the 0-0-7? Are you starting to green-up yet? I'd watch carefully for dandilions and their habits. Hard to say. Maybe Runner or some of the other guys could call it.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

13-2-5 .15%

Ready for it to pop tomorrow when temps come out of the 40's for the first time in a couple weeks.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I was afraid of that...Should you have to reapply, watch the nitrogen as it breaks down fairly quickly. Let's wait on the others.

5. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Are you doing a split app? If so, i would stick with the higher active on second round to be safe. Maybe do the .15 at 4.25 to 4.5/lb per k. That should give you enough active for post control and get you through the summer. If cost is an issue, watch your fert content. Low to no p and lower n due to heavier app. Also, consider a mini prill for coverage. That would let you do a little lighter than 4.5/k and still get good results. Watch your costs!
    Have you ever checked your per/k cost on combo's? A good winter chore. Don't get caught up on the per bag price like others. IMO Hope this helped.
    Anybody else? I might have forgot something...

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check your lawns. You guys got about th same amount of rain we did in CT, 5 and 3/4 inches in 36 hours. Serious flooding around here too. There is a good chance it did weahs away, but there's alot of variables like slope, runoff, turf density and height, etc.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Single app, full rate (w/o looking at label, don't know lbs/K).

Was thinking if Lebanons Dimension/Confront3 may be a wise choice Mid May. I can spot spray weeds in the meantime.

Yes, some bare areas I look at show no signs of any prills! Some did wash away, I'm not concerned with middle of the lawn areas, just the hot spots around drives and walkways.

Thanks for the ideas.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just checked my records.

I applied at 4lbs/K

9. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

Hard to call. I apply at the lower end of label. If the turf has low weed pressure (been treated previous years), then you're likely fine. I can't give an exact answer, but reccomend observation. Split apps. are a good idea, but cost is the balancing factor.... You applied at the higher end, so I'd think you are golden, sans the typical areas next to perimeters and slopes.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats just it. This is my first year. Though, last season, ALL of my mowing customers (treated by other various services), were plagued with crabgrass. It was a BAD year for crabgrass last Summer. Theres literally TONS of seed out there getting ready to germinate.

Would a liquid app of Dimension via 5gal backpack be feasible around perimeters and hot spots?

Remember, I'm just starting, so I only have about 600K sq/ft total. This year I can't afford to have major problems. I want these customers I have to be blown away at how much better their lawns will be when treated by me.