Dimension cost??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mwallingford, Jan 28, 2003.

1. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

Anyone have a general idea as to what you might pay for Dimension, depending of course on how much you buy and whether you buy liquid or powder?

2. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

cost for a case of Dimension Ultra WSP (water soluable packet,for spraying)= $880 treats 690,000sf = $1.28 per/1000sf

cost for 50# granular fert/Dimension combo - 19-0-6 w/.103%Dimension= $11.35 treats 12,500sf = $0.91 per/1000sf

3. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

KLR is that granular price from Lesco and is that the double app concentration? IF so how has that been workin for you as opposed to single app?

4. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

BLL,
    we dont buy that granular fert/Dimension product from lesco, lesco quoted us a price slightly higher

but lets compare apples to apples....lesco qouted a product that has 30% scu and .1% dimension

we buy from another dealer (UHS) that product is 25% scu and .103%dimension.

we choose to use the product with less sulfer coat urea and higher percent dimension.

and yes we do 2 apps with dimension. first app with the granular fert/dimension. second app we spray using dimension ultra wsp along with fert and broadleaf wed control. good control over crabgrass.

we switched to dimension last season, had been using Pre-M, same double app with same good control over crabgrass. But Dimension cost has dropped and no yellow stains plus when we spray rnd 2 we get pretty good post emergent control using dimension.

5. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

KLR do yourealyl think that extra.003 % makes a big deal i mean i realize we are only using .1 percent to begin with mut 3 thousandths of apercent seems nothign to the extra PPSCU you get
    justa thought

6. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

well, the recommended rate for dimension is .188 to .250 lbs active ingredient per acre.

so, the product with the higher percent of dimension will provide control while we have to apply less product. (hmm, does that make sence?)

But I agree with you .003.............not a big deal to decide to purchase from one vendor over another. But I dont see the need to pay for 30% scu when I feel 25% scu does us just fine. Also we get better service from UHS, quicker diliveries and a lower cost. Personally, I'm on a mission this season to boycott Lesco. Because of issues I have had with them in the past (at least at our local service center) I choose to spend my hard earned money elsewhere. We'll spend $50,000 on product this year so I understand we are not their biggest account, but I know we're not there smallest either! I have no problem with their product, just their attitude.

I wish you luck with your crabgrass control this season

7. lbyl53

lbyl53 Member

I have used dimension granular on fert since it was labeled for NY and had great luck with it and we only do one app after forsytia has dropped its blooms. first time on a property at the second to the lowest rate and from then on the low rate is good. Only place we see crabgrass is in the hot pots along walks and drives for ex. The blend we use is 0-0-7 with .086 dimension because we only treat the sunny spots and then treat entire lawn with 12-12-20 fert. both from UHS.

8. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

well if they recomend .188 to .250 then why are we using .1 or .103? that dont make sense at all or am i missing somethign?!

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

double app at recommended rates gives you that total for the season.

10. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

BLL
    if one uses a 19-0-6 w/.103dimension (as we do) and treats 12,500sq ft with 50# (4 lbs product per 1000sf) you will be appling .179lbs of active ingredient. follow that??

lbyl53
    I do agree with appling any pre-emergent after forsythia drops blooms (thats a great rule of thumb) However, that rule leaves a very small window of opportunity. If you have a larger customer base to serve........well, thats why we use split apps of preemergents. We fully realize that the 'early' apps will not last long enough for good control, so we hit them a second time to extend the control. Also, weather conditions and/or customer cultural practices....well we feel more comfortable with split apps. I am curious about your choice of fert though- 12-12-20? Why so high P & K??