Dimension (dithiopyr) or Pre-m (pendimethalin)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Which product is everyone having better results with. These will both be in the granular form. I have not looked at the barricade/stonewall (prodiamine) product to much since the price was so high. Here are some prices I got.

Pre-m .86% 19-0-7 AC $20.91
    Dimension .10% 19-0-6 30% PPSCU $24.77
    Dimension .103% 19-0-6 25% NS $24.00
    Pre-m .75% 22-0-6 40% NS $22.00
    Pre-m .86% 21-4-4 $22.00

The first two are lesco and last three andersons. Lesco does offer the pre-m product w/30% ppscu. I'm guessing the price would go up at least 2 or 3 dollars per bag. Any suggestions on what to purchase would be very helpful. I'm leaning towards the dimension with 30% ppscu but if I can save a few dollars with pre-m I will. Just not sure on how the results would be.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Preferable is the Dimension mainly because it is kinder to the roots being pruned. Pendi is the worst for this and Barricade being in the middle. I actually use Dimension February and Barricade about end of May-mid June. However this is Coastal SC. In Tenn property, we use Dimension. It all depends on how many days of growth you need deal with.

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We have used both pendimethalin and dimension. Dimension seems to give us better results and we prefer it over the yellow mess you get with both liquid and granular pendi. Product effectiveness is in my opinion is always limited to the quality of the turf your treating and the cultural practices maintaining that turf. Well mantained turf rarely has crabgrass problems whereas poorly maintained, mowed too short, non-watered and thin turf will likely have problems with break through. Is it the fault of the product? No. Dimension does provide some post-emergent control which in the end helps for added value.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

they offer Pre-m in a 30% 19-3-7 and 13-2-5 are both in 30 and 50% if I remember correctly.

I use dimension, split apps and am very happy with the results especially the non staining compared to pendi. Also I get dimension for the same if not cheaper than pre-m anyway.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I would jump off a bridge if i had to go back to pre-m!

6. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension also has post qualities and gets about 40 more weeds, the only thing I would reccomend is using a higher active ingredient with dimension or bump up your'e rates. If not then just split app the Pre-m and you'll get better results than dimension at lower rates. As far as barricade I have always used it first in this area due to seeding windows.

7. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

I hate Pre-M, can't tell you how many clothes I've ruined. I despise the stuff. I have 2 pallets I've been trying to use up for the past three years. Can't make myself use it. Always end up buying extra Dimension instead, the Pre-M just sits in the wharehouse. One of these days I'll just have to bite the bullet and use it up. Maybe this spring.:rolleyes:

8. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanx everyone, you made my decision pretty easy. Got to love this site.

9. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

WiseGuy,
    FYI - I switched from Lesco to Lebanon Turf last season for two reasons; they delivered to my location for no extra charge, and the cost was less.
    I also seemed to have better control last year.
    This year I got my Proscape .13% Dimension in a 15-0-5 with 40% MESA for $21.19 a bag.
    Not sure if you have a local Lebanon Turf distributor, but may be worth looking into, depending on needed quantity.

10. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I have never liked Pre-M and never had great results from it compared to Dim.