Dimension EC vs Lifeguard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Mar 20, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering if anyone has any comparison between the two??

I'm switching from a 19-0-6, 30% slow, .10% Dimension granular to 10-0-20, 65% slow, 10% FE fertilizer.

I'm then going to spray the pre-emergent.

My main goal is to reduce the amount of top growth, seeing as I mow these properties as well.

Dimension EC is no longer available, it's now a formulation called Dimension 2EW.

My cost / 1000 is .85.

My cost / 1000 of LifeGuard is .80.

I cover approximately 1.5M sq ft of turf, so my total cost difference is going to be about $75.

IMO, there's no choice but to go with the 2EW, since it's already in the liquid form, and the LifeGuard is / are WSPs.

I'll easily make up the $75 in time with not having to make a slurry / mix in 5 gallon bucket with the 2EW.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there's anyone that's got any feedback between the two?? Or maybe Stonewall either compared to these two??

Thanks,
    Jeremy.

2. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently using lifeguard. I place the pouches in the strainer and just let the water run over it. I am thinking about switching to the dimension 2ew next year. The Dow rep said that the price of lifeguard will be going up and the dimension will be the same price if not cheaper than it.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just switch to a lower N fert dimension combo. I only use the 19% N on lawns that need the extra jump, but all others get the 12%. Around here you can get a 12% nitrogen with dimension 25% slow release. Or if you want no nitrogen they make a 0-0-7 with .15 dimension. This way you don't have to go over the lawn twice. Just a thought.

4. LwnmwrMan22

I know I should have waited, but didn't.

My Lesco rep called me up this morning, and said that they got the price down, significantly for me.

Guess they like the fact that I bought a new Magnum too.

Anyways, the price per 1000 for the Lifeguard went from .80 / 1000 down to .55 / 1000.

The price for Dimension 2EW (new formulation went from .85 to .75 / 1000.

I now save .20 / 1000 with going with LifeGuard WSPs over Dimension 2EW liquid.

That's a savings I guess I'll carry the 5 gallon bucket with and mix up.

Also, they dropped the price of the 10-0-20 fertilizer to $12 / bag for me, so now with this mix, I'm only paying .40 / 1000 more than running the 19-0-6 granular I was before.

A cost increase of about $600 / round that I'll eat this year, to see what results I get.

Since I do my own mowing as well, and try to run between $75 -100 / hour doing that, if I can cut out enough double / triple cuts, even at $60 / hour, if I can save myself 10 hours out of 3 weeks of double cutting, I've made up the lost time.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Your Dow rep lies like a rug. Would you may more for Walmart Ibuprofen than Advil? Then why would you pay more for lifeguard than dimension?
    Diminsion is the established brand and lifeguard is the post patent generic, it should and will always sell at a discount.

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I used Lifeguard last year and had great results. In a year in which everybody was complaining about crabgrass breakthrough my customers had very little if any. To mix it I just throw the bag in the tank when it is about 1/4 full and agitate the heck out of it. Worked great for me.

Mike
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

7. LwnmwrMan22

I'll be running it out of a PG Magnum.

The reps said to mix the packets in a bucket first, get the packet completely dissolved, then mix in the rest.