1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dimension or Barricade

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Feb 13, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Which do you all prefer. I like Dimension becasue it's cleaner, has some post emergence activity etc. But it is more costly. Barricade I have never used, and I know that Prodiamine is messy let me know what you all think that use Barricade.
  2. JimKelley

JimKelley LawnSite Member

All of the yellow herbicides are messy. I too like the Dimension because of its post emerge qualities. Yes it costs more but if you are late in the season for the yellow herbicides it is a good choice.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use pendilum in my early apps and dimension for the new customers that start later in the spring. I do like dimension's reduced staining alot.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I like to rotate my products. I use Dimension for a couple of years, then pendimethalin for a year. I prefer the Dimension, but was told by a few professors to rotate products.
  5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I'm not sure I agree that Barricade is "messy." After using all the other available crab pre-emergents including pendimethalin I prefer Barricade overall. The small, 2-week-window you get for post emergent control of crab before it tillers out and becomes too large does not outweigh the cost or possible root-pruning of turf using Dimension. Barricade does not stain. Lumping all pre-emergents together because they have a yellow dye is comparable to homeowner thinking. Like other pre-emergents it comes in WDG and EC forms. The EC comes in 2.5 gal jugs or 30 gal barrels and is easily measured/added to spring-blanket apps. Other than Ronstar (not lableled for residential use) it is the "kindest" to new turf and can be applied at various rates depending on season, control level needed etc.
  6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll agree with vegomatic and upidstay both on this one. It is a "yellow" preemerge, but it's not nearly as harsh stain wise as pre-m. I used pre-m until 2 years ago based on cost and switched to dimension until this year because of the staining issue. I'm going back to barricade, which I used back in like 96 or so, because I think it has a longer residual effect for the early apps. and what little bit it does stain I'll get over if I get better results. Something else to think about pertaining to this. The bag price for dimension is lower, but don't let that scare you away. Check the usage rates and cost per acre, or 1,000 or whatever. I know I get tangled up in price per bag and I need to be better at paying attention to actual cost applied. Good luck, Marc
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Been applying Barricade in granular form every day this week.

The yellowing effect on the spreader is VERY minor compared to pendimethalin. I never notice Barricade getting on my shoes and clothes at all.
  8. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I've Used Dimension for the last 5 years and have been pleased with it and there is no staining that I can see. Just got a new batch today gotta go spread!
  9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Used Dimension (granular) for the past 2 years. This year I'm using Barricade (liquid) this year...I purchased a large amount from Lesco on clearance last year so it didn't cost me much.. :)