1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dimension & overseeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Jan 13, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I just signed up a new fert n squirt customer. I did a BL weed spray for him last fall, as well as fall fert, and now he's got a bunch of bare spots where before it was nothing but clover and ground ivy. So now he's wanting me to overseed in the spring, which is good. payup

Normally I'd put down Dimension w/fert in March, but I don't want to screw up the new seed. He says he hasn't had a big problem with crabgrass, so I'm considering skipping the Dimension, putting down straight fert, and do a post-em application if needed.

Does this sound reasonable?
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

just make sure he knows to mow high, and you may have to spot treat for crabgrass later in the season.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm assuming that it's a ky blue/rye/fescue lawn? if this is true, you can apply the new seed (mid-Feb) and then apply the pre-m end of march. the grass will germinate long before crabgrass season, and since you stated that you are using dimension (GREAT! choice) a late app wont hurt your control to much, it's labbled for post crabgrass control while in the 1st tiller stage.
  4. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

I agree. Seed here shortly next 2-3 weeks. Wait until late April early May and throw down an app of Dimension. I've used a Dimension .21% in the past putting it down at a rate of 4#/M late April beg May and had excellent control on crabgrass!
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

well the seed really take germinate that fast before the end of March. I am not familiar with your guys conditions, but I am just curious.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the rye will most likly take off in 2-3 week if the weather is decent, the ky blue will take about 30 days. and the way this winters been here, it would probly start this month!! (just kidding)
  7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Another thought I had was this: Since his "need for seed" is pretty much isolated to a couple areas, I could go ahead and overseed in late February, then do the Dimension app in March, avoiding the areas that got seed, and just hitting those areas with straight fert.

8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

There is a seeding pre emergent herbicide called Siduron usually sold under Tupersan brand name.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

But correct me if I am wrong, won't basically all pre-em stunt the growth of the newly seeded area?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would just seed it and look into using some Drive if necessary. A little costlier, but it is this type of situation that the stuff is designed for.