1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dimension Particle Size

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Jan 15, 2007.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear a lot of folks complain about Crabgrass even though they've upped the active ingredient on their granular to .15% & beyond. Small wonder when half the turf is feeling the .15 & half feels almost nothing.

Back in the early '90's, Rohm & Haas mandated a specific number of "prills per square foot" which prevented formulators from using the popular SGN240 raw materials to make combination products unless the material was being spread at greater than 250 lbs per acre. Hence the .01% was often made with SGN 150-180 rwas for a while.

Dow then lowered the bar & now all manner of ag-type raws are used to formulate Dimension combos. Control for many has suffered as one would expect.

Does anyone still have any of that old R&H paper hanging around? I threw it out during an office remodel & can't find it on the www anywhere.

Weedman did similar tests using Pendimethalin but as far as I know their data wasn't published...or was it?

Any old Scott's players have it maybe?

Other terms - Prills per square inch, prills per square foot, partical density, etc.
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco makes a line of products with small prills but I think it's only available to golf courses. I wish my local Lesco dealer sold it I would definitely use the small prills for pre-emergent but not for fertilizer as it is not as critical. I don't have any other prill info though.
  3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a Scotts product a couple years(PRE-M) back very small particles. I had excellent results.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i had some clumps in my mix last year that would not even go through the spreader and the prill size was all over the place in some bags
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

When I first tried Dimension from lesco 6 or so years back it was in the mini-prill formulation. I did not do a lot of research, but that's just what they had there for lawn care use. Since then I only find it in the standard prill size. I think they were concerned with prills per sq. inch with an ai. that was so low in concentration. I guess in years since they determined that the mini prill wasn't necessary.

Lesco has 3 prill sizes. Standard, mini, and elite. The Elite is the size used on golf greens, Mini or Elite for tees ect. Actually, now that Lesco dosn't make their own fert the Prill size choices may have changed...
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm familiar with Lesco. I worked for them for 17 years.

SGN 240 = Standard
    SGN 150 = Mini (this one bounces around to 180 sometimes)
    SGN 120 - Elite

The Anderson's (was Scott's) uses SGN 215 for their Dimension which is nice. It's small enough to give 40% more prills per square foot than 240. Unlike the Lesco "Mini" it has a decent spread width.

What I'm trying to find is the written data from Rohm & Haas that specified the ideal "particles per square foot" for granular applied Dimension. Dow buried that data so as to increase market share but someone probably still has it squirreled away in binder collecting dust. LOL

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

lets hope someone has that info somewhere
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not the exact source you mentioned, but this data might be useful.

Here is the reference URL: http://www.gcsaa.org/gcm/2004/jan04/PDFs/01Goosegrass.pdf

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lesco does sell the mini and elite size particle, but it is more expensive. Very few people will spend the extra $$ so few stock it. They can get it for you if you want it. My local Lesco got some for us. We used it on some higher end lawns. I did not see ny difference in these versus the lawns we used the larger particle on. We used it so people did not see the particle and so it would not affect ball roll on fields. For your typical lawn, the standard size particle is just fine. Get good coverage and it will work...UNLESS we have a disastrous year like 2006. Particle size had nothing to do with it. I know guys who used standard, mini, liquid, split, everything, and alot still had major breakthrough. The smaller particle does make sense. Golf courses generally use them. But I believe alot of this has to do with ball roll being affected by particles that are roughly the same height as the turf they are put on.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are applying product at a high rate per M, particle size really is not that big of an issue.

But take for example a 0-0-8 Stonewall 0.43%. This product is produced in a mini particle. You might be applying around 3 pounds per M of this product or maybe even less. With a larger particle size, your distribution will not be consistent at all. And that is not a good thing with preemergent. If this were just straight fertilizer, distribution would not be as critical.