Ding trencher question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by leoslayer, Sep 2, 2010.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I cut through poly once and hit the coax cable running to the house. Didn't cut through it though. And it ran parallel with the zone pipe I was working on.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i was blown out of an attic once, for a week i didn't have any short term memory. it was a wierd feeling. i was very lucky.

now i use salisbury/north gloves, tested to 30 kv - rated to 26.5 kv

these were given to me by a linesman buddy after they were replaced due to age, they are brand new as far as shape goes (i use them when cutting unknown pipes that could be suspect.)

these gloves have a calander lifespan in the utility industry, ask around and you might find someone that has a pair they'll part with.

100_0649.jpg

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I use gloves like that when I mix my special-recipe hot sauce :p

4. leoslayer

leoslayer LawnSite Member

i am running 1 main line so a friend can water horses in the pasture plus i am running 4" corrugated for drainage all over the place. the reason i am going deep is that this is in the pacific north west and the frost line is pretty deep. i need the drainage and water for the horses not to freeze

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Shooot, the last time I used a pair of gloves like that was writing the last of a long series of $7500 checks to my ex-wife.

About the Dingo question, more depends upon the shape of the primary pump feeding the hydraulics and wheel motors. If the pump is in decent shape and will operate when hot (not go into a by-pass or slippage mode), given decent soil you should see maybe 10 feet per minute - more if it is sand based or loose/non compacted soil.

Screw around with the bit set-up on the chain and you could realize much more productivity.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

DON'T take this wrong but i think the xolady might of bounced a round off your noggin.

my barreto is a top notch machine, loved and cared for by me and it would jump up and slap me for asking that kind of producton. :waving:

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

get a ride on ditch witch 3700 or rt40

and then you dont need to be worried about how much trench you can get done.

you can muscle through most any soil conditions (other than rock)

the quickest!

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Using a Ditch Witch SK350, I figure about 200 feet/hour on commercial landscape projects (i.e. lots of crap in the ground to fight with). We don't trench residential here, so on reasonable ground I'd have no idea.

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

you have to be careful with those dingos, they will eat your baby.

10. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Just a trench? Or will you need it backfilled,seeded and strawed?
    Price from 1.75 per foot to 2.75 per foot