dingo demo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Starling Lawn, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Tomorrow I start a new job and the Toro rep is going to bring out a dingo with a Harley rake.I had posted earlier in the week about sod cutters for this job.The Toro rep swears the power rake will solve the problem.The turf areas are a mixture of weeds,some St. Augustine and Bahia,real thin stuff.WE`ll see what happens.This could save me alot of labor cost if it works.I`ll let you know the results.
    Dave

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

very interested in how it works. I'm seen the rakes advertised but wonder how well they work when they are that small.

One question. Why not just rent a larger harley rake on a tractor or skidsteer instead?

Also, from experience, if the grass is rooted well, it will take a LOT of passes to get the ground broken up nicely. One suggestion is to take a old mower/brush hog, set it as low as it will go, and Scalp the hell out of the lawn. The harley will not work well if the grass is pretty tall. I know you said the lawn is pretty bad though, so it may work better. Harleys take a lot of passes to till up existing lawns. They are really meant to level out bare soil.

Also, if you could get a big tractor/skidsteer tiller first in there and till it up, then harley rake that, you will have great results.

steveair

3. Starling Lawn

steveair,
    The dingo worked great,I went ahead and rented it for a few days.The sod was real thin and bare so it only took one pass.I`ll see how the leveler works tomorrow.
    As for as your question,I thought about using a larger tiller but this place has alot of old oaks(35)so the roots would be a problem.So when the toro guy said they had a dingo with all these other attatchments I jumped on it.I also so rented a tree auger.We have a new holland,but not all the accessories.this seemed more convenient.Besides it was a chance to try out a new toy.Thinking of leasing one.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to here about your success,

I just leased a dingo 222 about 2 weeks ago and love it so far. Glad to hear about the harley rake being a nice item to have as I will probably try to get one next year.

Did you have the 322 or the 222? Wondering it the extra hydraulic drives on the front wheels make any difference compared to the chain.

Also, another good point. I got mine with the 22 kohler gas. If you have the money, get the diesel. Why? Because it can be ran inside a building (with a muffler upgrade) A week after I got mine, I got a offer for a job inside a huge warehouse but because of emissions, the gas won't work.
    Maybe not a concern, but it was something I never thought about untill after words.

steveair

5. Starling Lawn

Steveair,
    We used the 322.Its an awesome machine,a little sluggish when turning with the rake engaged.It also has the weight kit which helps alot.Can`t wait to see how the auger works,I have thirty 30 gal. wax myrtles to put in.So far this is a great machine.
    Dave

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

For certain applications, not much can beat these mini skids. Too bad they are a little on the expensive side. I rented a Ramrod, and loved it for the application.

Eric

7. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

Does anybody know the kanga website? thanks

8. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

9. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

thanks