dingo trencher? anyone have one

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AintNoFun, Apr 7, 2007.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious if anyone has a trencher for there dingo. im looking to purchase one for silt fence and erosion control mat installation and wondering how everyone likes them and what size roots they cut through..

2. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

we rent one for irrigation and drainage. no problems so far with roots. blows a walkbehind trencher away!!

3. jonlavonne

jonlavonne LawnSite Member

Have one for my ramrod and it works great.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

what size roots do you think it can cut through.. my dingo salesman said he used to trench around the base of a tree and then just push it over..

5. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

Theres a new one for sale on ebay at the moment. Cant remember the specifics though.

6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

can they trench more than 6" wide?

7. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

I have a trencher for my Kanga mini skid steer that works well enough on the roots and small rocks. I use it to install water lines for RV's. I also have a Ditch Witch 1220 pedestrian trencher that does a better job but horsing it around is a real pain sometimes. Especially when on the side of a hill. (I still can't figure out why they don't have a steerable nose wheel on those.)
    Back to the Kanga trencher, after running the water lines I have to wait for the water company to make the tap for the water meter and then I go back and connect the line to the meter. That's where the Kanga trencher really shines as I sometimes have to complete the trench from my stub to the meter and it saves me a lot of time and the Kanga is easy to maneuver into position and cut the last 6-8 ft. Doing this by hand is hard because of all the roots and rocks and I can trench right to the outlet on the meter after I remove the box. It sure makes my life a lot easier. Plus sometimes I have to make an educated guess as to the future location of the meter and sometimes they have other ideas. That happened today and I had to change the final direction of my pipe to match the location of the newly installed meter. I thought that I would just hand dig it but after 20 minutes of cussing roots I unloaded the Kanga, attached the trencher, and five minutes later had the new trench with the pipe in it.
    Both my trenchers were set at 6" when I got them but I removed the spacers and now they dig 4". I believe that they can be reset to almost 12" with spacer blocks but most probably the going would be slow. I ran a Ditch Witch J20 with a 12" chain back in the early 70's. We used it to lay 4" sewer pipe and it worked well.

Good Luck,
    FatBoy

8. LongviewLandscapeSupply

LongviewLandscapeSupply LawnSite Member
    from Wa

We have the trencher for our dingos.. works great we use it for drains, sprinkler lines, I have even used it to put power into my shop. it will cut through pretty much any root, but if it were big enough i would be concerned about it starting to hop and break the chain.. I did this with a rental trencher once coming across and established rock driveway with the rock chain.. It broke the chain before I could even stop the machine from jumping.. I believe chains are around $700 bucks...

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 2 ft model with 4 inch width - an excellent piece of equipment , we sometimes even dig holes with . A versatile attachment that should work finefor your application.

10. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

I try not to trench across a rock driveway and will cut a 4' wide path across the driveway with the standard bucket on the mini. This allows me to trench in the dirt instead of the rocks. That's about right for the chain price, sometimes cheaper on Ebay.

You can curl the trencher to point straight down and then lower it. I can dig a 4"x10"x3' hole in the ground or dig an + by moving the machine 90 degrees to the first cut.

Fatboy