Dingo users...backhoe attachment?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jfmx345, May 7, 2007.

1. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

For you guys that use dingo's, have you used the backhoe attachment? I need to dig for a retaining wall, and will already have a dingo on site, so if it works well it will save me a rental. The wall is only 30' long and the dirt is mostly topsoil.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've never used the dingo version, but did use a ramrod hoe attachment once. If similar and I'd guess it would be it's fine for easy digging like that. Heavy clay, shale, boulders you'd be better off with a hand chisel. If it's topsoil/loamy soil you should do well. Just don't plan on unloading the pallet of material with the dingo.:hammerhead:

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently in the middle of a large paver patio/landscape install. My access is tight and angled on one side of the inground pool that just went in. Anyway, the initial excavation (very heavy clay soil) was done with an allmand mini backhoe, this was a good choice because it has a longer reach and better ripout force vs the Dingo (I have used) then without skipping a beat I could quickly swing around and move the soil. Then I used a skidsteer to move the first 24 ton of crusherrun, but with the tight access and slopes it was slow going and the tires created some big ruts by the end of the day -it also couldn't handle a full pallet of pavers, 3,304lbs each- they had to be broken down a bit before I could move them. Today I used the Dingo and moved 12 ton in 2 1/4 hours:weightlifter: even though the bucket is 1/2 the size of the skidsteer I was able to move at full speed and could cut through the otherside of the pool with the 40" width. I just love the Dingo. Got the last 12 ton to move tomorrow.

Long story short: You can use the Dingo for both but its weakness is that unlike a mini backhoe with its bucket down or the mini-ex with its blade down, the Dingo has nothing holding back as the bucket pulls into the ground, so if you hit small stumps or tough soils, you'll just end up pulling yourself forward.