Dingo vs. Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Mar 22, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Who has a dingo or skid steer or both? Which one is better for doing walkways such as excavating, materials, etc. Dingo cost almost $20,000 and skid start at $25,000. Skids can do more work quicker. I am leaning to the skid cuz it has more potential. Your thoughts?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going into hardscaping hard core, I would go w/ a skid steer. The problem (unless you have a dump trailer) w/ Dingos is that you can't load a truck w/ them. Plus you have way more digging power w/ a SS. Not to mention the ability to handle alot more material in a shorter period of time. Go w/ the SS.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Dingo is a childs toy. Yea they work good and all, but how will you move that 3000lbs pallet? 60 tons of stone? etc etc

I bought a 246b last year and could not be happier.
  4. NewHorizon's Land

Chris I think you hit the nail on the head. We have one at the college and it is SO SLOW. Took me five mins to go the same way I walk in two mins. Skids are a lot nicer in my opinion. How about buying one from a rent shop? Good deal or good fixer upper?

5. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I like to use the dingos for walkways but I rent one when needed. I think a skid would be the best to purchase. The dingo is only good for walkways really.
  6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a used 2000 763g on ebay last year for 12,000.00 because I didnt have big steam for a new one but I love the machine, its been great and only 700 hrs when I got it.
  7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Asking which is better between a Dingo and a skidsteer is like asking whether you should buy a Kenworth T800 or a Ford F350. It comes down to what you are going to be doing most. I own both a Dingo TX420 and a Bobcat 863, and for us the Bobcat gets used 1 hour to every 20 hours on the Dingo. However, when we need the Bobcat, the Dingo just won't do the job and visa versa.
    If you don't know which one you should buy, my supposition would be that you don't need either. I would get some jobs under my belt renting each of them on different jobs. Once you have done this for a while, you will not even have to ask yourself which one you need, you will just know.

What I've experienced is that nobody asks whether they should use the Dingo or the Bobcat for any particular job - the two are not interchangeable. If the Bobcat can do the job - use it because it will be far more productive, but if the Bobcat is too big for the job, the Dingo will make it easy!

Hope that helps.
  8. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Good Post Mr. Vern

We use the Dingo way more than we would a Skid Steer as we do alot of work in established back yards.

If it was all new res/driveways I would go with the Skid.
  9. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks to all.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we feel the same way. we log way more hours on the dingo that we would a skid steer.... we can use it for just about everything.