Dinner with a Veteran

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PTP, May 15, 2012.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am always looking for small things that I can do to improve the morale of my company.

Last week, I was out mowing and chatted for a bit with a new customer. It turns out that he is a 90 year old WWII veteran. He was in 4 major battles which included D-day and the Battle of the Bulge. He was in the tank corps. He was also a talker. I figured that this sort of an opportunity was too good to pass up and so I called him yesterday and made arrangements to go out to dinner with him and his wife. I have 3 vets working for me and figured that this would be a good thing for them as well so most of my company is going to be there.

These guys aren't going to be around much longer and this opportunity is like a gold mine. I'm really looking forward to it.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

PTP, your suggestion is fantastic, having family that has served and is presently serving is very important to me and I do what ever I can to help our Military, all branches in any way I can. Enjoy yourself and learn.
    easy-lift guy

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

That is really nice of you to do that! Just remember that some topics might be hard to talk about for him. Enjoy the dinner! :usflag::usflag:

4. PTP

from Tulsa

Yes, I have found that to be true with some veterans and have purposely not asked questions for that reason. However, I had trouble getting away from him because he was talking so much and his wife told me on the phone, "he's got a lot of stories to tell" so I figure we are on safe ground here.

We'll try not to push it though.

5. PTP

from Tulsa

Well, we didn't do dinner but we went over to his home instead. He showed us his medals, told his stories, and just talked about the war in general. It was really interesting.

Here is a picture of my customer, Mr. Chaney, disembarking the landing craft at Normandy. He is the one who is facing the camera in the middle of the picture.

[​IMG]

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW this is VERY hard to belive he does't look 30 in that PICTURE !!!

HUMMMM

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank you!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

He was 23, do the math correct.
    Posted via Mobile Device