Direct Mail Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ferdinand711, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

Does any one uses Direct Mail Advertising? How's it going?
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I paid $600 last year and did not get 1 call
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

The size was a little bigger than a postcard on one size, listing the services we preform, along with 2 coupons, and phone number.
    I had 30,000 sent out and did not recive one call.
  5. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I would NEVER recommend Direcet mailing with a another company for they do NOT have you best interest in mind from what I experience.

I am under a contract with them and it is costing me $1,200 a year, this year 3 call and no customer service from the company I'm with.

Yes I have a bitter taste but this was a lesson learned and have spent ALOT less in other local advertising services and have had MUCH better response and gained 12 customers just this year from them.

FYI, to all here, Welcome Wagon is a ripe off DON'T USE THEM!!

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had very good results with direct mail advertising.
    Last year I sent out 10K I think, and received 300-400 calls.
    My post card is on this site somewhere.(search my posts)
    Very important to work your own mailing lists.
    Target specific areas and households.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, was it the right phone # LOL
    That sux
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

If you spent $600 and had 30K "mailed", there is NO WAY they ever got mailed. We mail 8K at $2300 each time always get a 3-6% response. FYI postcard postage is in the .2 range which would have you at a minimum of 6K in postage. And I am a shopper and I have never seen postcards for .02 cents each. Do you mean you made photo copies and handed out 30K
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

If any of you guys decide to do direct mail, keep the following in mind.

I have a friend that sold copy machines and when I told him that I was thinking about trying direct mail he told me that he sold machines to some of the companies that did direct mail campaigns. But he only recommended ONE company. I figured maybe that they bought a lot of machines from him and when I asked he said, NO they are just the only company that will actually mail your entire address list. So just to be on the safe side I always include at least 5 family members on the list to have a small checks and balance system. And if anyone is considering a campaign also keep in mind that it is just like any other form a advertising you just don't do one mailing you do multiple mailings throughout the season. Most likely a potential customer might call after they have seen your advertising or trucks a couple of times and not the first time.
  10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

ICS is right most LCO's dont get a retrun becasue they dont stick with it. If your looking for a knock out punch advertsing then Direct mail is the way to go, but you must go at least 12 rounds to make it a good fight before a knock out will come. To bash direct mail if you only did it once, is a weak excuse of why it didnt work. That would be like passing out one business card and since it didnt land you business right away you never handed out another card.