Direct Mail Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ferdinand711, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

http://gotprint.com

2. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

The Val-Pak in my area absolutely comes to townhomes. I live in a townhouse community with at least 800 units and I get a Val-Pak just about once a month. Just threw one out yesterday.

How does WelcomeWagon work? I'm not real familiar with it I've only seen it once or twice. Why did they sell you a list? How much did they charge for the list alone? How much for maiing the cards? etc

Just curious.

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

So if you mailed out 10,000 and signed 65 new ones, that means that .65% close rate and a 3-6% response rate? And you said it cost you around $2300? So it was $.23 per postcard bought and mailed?

So basically out of 6 calls 3-5 of them were tire kickers?

Also how big of lawns are you doing for $40? Do you mean you are doing 1 Acre+ plus for $40?

Well thanks for the info I really appreciate it..

- Josh

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Josh.S

So how much gross of mowing a week did you pick up so far from the $2300 of postcards? I'm assuming around $2600 if you picked up 65 at $40 a pop.. thats sounds almost to good to be true (not saying your a liar, its just I would do anything to get an extra $2600 a week in gross) Did you hit the same area with several rounds of postcards? If so what did you pick up with your first direct mail investment?

Thanks for the help...

- Josh

6. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

How does Welcome Wagon work? I'm not real familiar with it I've only seen it once or twice. Why did they sell you a list? How much did they charge for the list alone? How much for mailing the cards? etc

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

UpNorth;

Welcome wagon provides me with 3 products.

1, They provide me with add space on Realtor.com corresponding with the zip code that I purchased so when someone looks on what service are available in this area they see my add.

2,They send out a very nice booklet that they put together to the new home owners with in my zip code with my add in there also.

3,They provide me with a list of newly purchased homes in my purchased zip code with addresses so that I can send out my broacher's to them. The only problem is after looking in to this list its 2 to 3 month behind if I get it. Yes there are townhouses in there but more homes then townhouses, but there are no post cards that come with this service I provide my owen broacher to send out which I like better.

Its costing me $102.00 a month and I cant get out of my contract and they are not holding up there end of the contract. When I tryed contacting them to disuse the issue, no one wont's to talk about it and reminds me that the only way I can get out of the contract is to end my business!

7. TJLANDS

I added 65 homes this past spring. Most came from the mailing. 20 or so of them were newly built homes. Did they all come from the mailing I do not know. I should have a separate phone number for the advertising but I didn't.

Five years ago we only did a handful of houses, maybe 30, almost all of my work was commercial. Townhouse Dev, condos, office complexes, retirement
    etc. Started going after houses 3 years ago with advertising, direct mail mostly. My residential count now is 175. Still a small part of my business but growing.
    I said $40 was my minimum for houses most of the homes we pick up are $50-60

8. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

where do you guys get the mailing list from that hit demographics from your area.

9. TJLANDS

I get mine from someone in real estate. They always have access to mailing lists. You could also try your local Republican club. Or you could just buy the service on line. I will look for that info.

10. Josh.S

Wow I really am impressed, is it ok with you if I edit the postcard you sent me and use it next spring? It looks very professional and I don't think I could make something like that myself, and its hard to scratch up an extra $50 or more so somebody could design it when I really think what you have would work very well....

I really appreciate your help and all, btw did you just change your avatar I could have swore you had a doe on it before :dizzy: ..

Thanks alot!!!

- Josh