Direct Mail Marketing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KParks, Dec 26, 2005.

1. KParks

KParks LawnSite Member

I'm considering direct mail as a marketing tool to increase my customer base. Can you provide any feedback regarding direct mail such as, type of communication: letter V postcard, target audience, response %, and do you continue to use it?

Keith Parks
    Parks Lawn Maintenance

2. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use post cards. After trying many others in my opinion its the best. You can target a number of different homeowners, new houses only, new move-ins or just different neighborhoods. Response is better than other advertising for me and much more cost efficient. Somewhere in the range of .20 per card including postage.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That's incredibly cheap...who and where did you get a deal like that? I did postcards a couple years ago and it came out to .40 cents each. That was for design, print and postage. I got about 30 calls and picked up 4 mowing accounts. Oh, that was from 5,000 postcards.

4. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

TJ what company did you use for your hew homeowners list? Any info would be great!

Thanks

5. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

tj what company did u use for .20 cents printed and mailed? im definately interested
    -mike

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was going to do the direct mail thing but it was too expensive and it didn't target any differently than if I ran an ad in a local paper. I think it was around $800.00 for 4 zip codes (about 35-50k customers) where as if I ran my original ad in that paper I reach almost 260k potential customers for about $90.00 per month. To me its not worth it. In spring and summer when I run this ad I average about 2-4 calls every couple of days in the spring until June, and about 1-3 calls every few days in the summer until late August. Then in fall I average about 1-2 calls every couple of days for fall clean ups.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I forgot to mention that also incuded the mailing list. Twenty cents each for the deisgn, print and mailing list and another .20 cents for the postage.

8. TJLANDS

lpb graphics.com.
    They have many good postcard programs and they can help you obtain
    a mailing list. Easy to work with. Much cheaper than I thought it would be.

9. TJLANDS

They actually have a special now 5000 mailed full color for 445.00.
    They mail bulk rate and you can design your own postcard on their website.

10. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Does the 445 include postage? Because that would only make it 9 cents a card.