1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Direct Mail - Postcards

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Turf Troll, May 30, 2007.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

It has been two years since I sent out 10,000 postcards and it was for landscaping.

I am starting to put my piece together now for just Lighting and am gathering rates and print cost and list cost.

I am looking for some feedback on who to use for a printer, a list broker and how you mailed your piece.

If not here please send a PM

I appreciate the help, Thanks

2. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.printingforless.com/index.html

They do all my printing and I have carried the pieces with me to get local quotes, but nobody has come close yet to the quality and price.

You can get your list from InfoUSA and let Pinters for less do the rest if you like. (You can get all the quotes right on line.)

I get 5k with about 2k printed with my list for me to bulk mail as soon as I get them. The remaining 3k have my postage permit printed on them for me to use for small batches until the next big mailing.

3. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

What is the postage costing you and what is the post office calling it ? I paid 12 cents a card then 14 cents a card with current residence for the addresse,today one post office said I had to pay 25 or 26 for a addressed card another told me 16 cents :hammerhead: this is the same confusion I had the first time I mailed with the post office.

Last year I used my printers permit and a list from info usa also. I called them today and they said it would be 26 cents a card 6 x 9 size for the postage.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

5.5 x 8.5 double sided coated both sides full color both sides... .283 cents each for printing.... .24 to 26 cents for postage... 30 bucks per 1000 to adress.

This comes to 56 cents each card delivered but keep in mind full color both sides coated really added up. This is also for only 1200 hand selected adresses with me providing the list. Im using a company reccomended by our friend Oscar Welch at Welch Creative Lighting. Its based in orlando and Its called a different perspective advertising. They have been VERY helpful and patient as I compliled our list.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Eddie. You link wants 934 bucks for my order. Im paying between 650 and 700... 4/4 both sides with coating and mailed out using my list.

6. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

These are some of the people I've used in the past. You can give them a try if you wish:
    Printing: Olymus / Olympusnet.com...They can do full service, but I used to supply my own list.
    List: Dunhill International List Co. / dunhills.com

Some prices to expect, but remember that I deal in large volumn (60,000 or more):

Printing: 6X9 4/4 12pt c1s Kromekote glossy cover.. .0745 cents per card

Mail Processing: .035 cents per card

Postage: .21 cents per card

List from Dunhill: $50 per thousand addresses. Single family owned homes, no condos or apartments, in selected zip codes.

Total cost per piece (not including list because it is reusable) is 0.3195 cents.

7. Chris J

A quick note on lists: when figuring out the criteria for your lists, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you use "income level" you may be missing out on a huge market of retired individuals who no longer have an income but may be rather wealthy. Retirees are a large customer base for us in Florida.
    If you use "home value" you have to rely on the accuracy of the list from the agency you choose. In today's market, home values increase very rapidly. A home valued at 500k today, might only have been appraised at 250K two years ago. A lot of list companies use tax rolls to pull their information; therefore if you told them that you wanted the homes valued at 400k and above, you would not get the address of the home just mentioned because the assesed value of this home would not be 400k even though the appraised value is 500k. The tax collector can only increase your property taxes 3%maximum per year in Florida (raise your property value). Bottom line is that a lot of thought needs to go into choosing a proper list as well as a proper list agency. I do pay a bit more for my lists, but I really believe they are more accurate and up to date.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Proscapes- you say that you are paying 650-700 printed and mailed, rather than 934 just printed, but to who? let me know, I want the best deal, I am wanting to send out postcards soon.

9. Chris J

David,
    I just gave you the information for postcards at .32 cents a piece printed and mailed versus Billy's .56 cent method. What more do you want?

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

yeah, but I can't send out 60,000 pieces !! at 30 cents apiece, that is what? 18000 dollars? If I can do a selected mailer for 650-750 bucks, that is more my budget. sorry, man, I'm at a lower volume.