Direct Mail Response Rates

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dman1214, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

I have noticed some incredulous claims on direct mail response rates. In general, on a professionally designed piece ( whether it be a postcard, return mailer piece, etc,) actually mailed (no doorhangers) what are your historical response rates? Do you really track the #'s or are you guessing? I'm looking for specifics here.

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

offer for free lawn analysis on targeted zips and carrier routes 1-2%

oversized postcard offering discounts on products (25-50% off) with a limited timeframe upto 5%

3. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

My offer, to targeted homeowners (high-end demographics) is going to be 25% off 1st app with the purchase of a full lawn program. Decent incentive to call or send the BRM card back I feel. If I get .75% response rate I will be happy- no thrilled! You mean to tell me in your market if you send a 50,000 piece mailer you will get 2500 leads? I'm sorry but that seems hard to believe.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have only guestimated at what I have received. I am going to try and do a better way of tracking everything this spring.

5. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

I think it is crucial to track everything closely. If you don't, how can you evaluate the campaign's effectiveness? Moreover, it probably is even more critical to test before you commit to the entire effort.

6. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

oversized postcard was for significant savings...50% off $500 jap maples
    50% off flowering cherries $125 value, buy one get one free flats annuals.

At those large dollar savings, coupons are tracked and counted and run at over 5%. Not quite the same as selling a service...people are receiving a product.

Your offer of 25% off an app with a full year program sign up might approach your target of 3/4 of 1%...if you have good zips and carrier routes. I think you need a bigger bait to cut through the clutter in the spring. Remember your close rate on these responses is lower than normal. A 25% rate of closure would be very acceptable.

10,000 mailed x .0075 = 75 leads x 25% close = 18.75 new clients.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I can say, on average, I have a lower response rate and a higher closure rate.

8. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

thank you for your input - historically, when ever we get a qualified lead in ( a prospect calls us or responds in some way to a lead generation camapign) we close 3 of 4 - 74% to be exact. We were big telemarketers, but with the advent of the DNC list, I must use more passive lead generation techniques - I will be doing my first mass direct mail effort this year. I know all the so called "rules" - 60/30/10 rule, quick response time, follow up, etc. But is there anything that has worked specifically for you that is outside the box? If you don't want to post it, please PM me. Thanks again. DMAN1214

9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

how did you get that number again? :cool2: :cool2: